Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Monday, October 7, 2013

Another roll of the dice

I may get a little more work done today, but I'm not counting on it. No good reason to shunt it aside, other than the child's complaint: "I donwanna." There's nothing odious in the to-do stack, not even very much there--it's a pretty light load at the moment. And that's part of why I'm taking the gamble that I can bail early tonight and still get things done in a timely manner.

It's a very interesting experience grading the short story revisions. Because I am grading on revision, not on talent or the quality of the story, some of the less-splendid in terms of literary merit are getting high grades. I don't have a problem with that--it's the nature of the beast--but it is an odd experience for someone who is usually fiercely insistent on the quality of the finished product.

The class was a bit odd today, too. Several students were missing--and the class is small enough that having three students out changes the composition of the chemistry significantly. Tyra (not Kyra: my apologies to the writers of Friday Night Lights) would not such up, talking about herself, herself, herself: I finally had to give her the "tone it down" hand gesture--which she didn't entirely pick up on: firmer measures are apparently needed. I may talk to her outside of class: she's definitely moving in the "obnoxiously dominating the class discussion" direction, and I need to (as my students would say) nip that in the butt--or at least get it checked before it gets any worse.

Discussion of the story we read for today was pretty flat (Sherman Alexie's "The Approximate Size of My Favorite Tumor")--though the students generally liked the story. I tried to come up with a "jot down ideas" exercise on the fly and it rather bombed... I let them go 20 minutes early. Again.

I am going to e-mail them one of my stories so we can--if time permits--critique it in class on Wednesday, after we discuss Le Guin's "First Contact with the Gorgonids." I want them to read that story because it's funny (humor being the motif at the moment) and also because I want them to see the difference in style between that and "Malheur County." I'll be interested to see if the students can also detect any ways in which--despite their glaring differences--the two stories have a similar voice. I know Le Guin's work well enough to hear her voice in both stories--but I'm not sure I'd pass a metaphoric blindfold test: would I know it was Le Guin's work if I didn't know it was Le Guin's work? But I think it's good for them to see one writer working in very different modes.

I do, however, need to remember to send them my story tonight, so they have time to read it. The students who missed today's class and who don't check their e-mail are simply out of luck.

On another front entirely, I submitted my sabbatical application today. (Set off the confetti cannons! Cue the parade!) I'll be curious to see what feedback I get from P&B, but until I'm told something I need to include or change, as far as I'm concerned, I'm done. If there's more correspondence between now and when the thing has to go to the college-wide committee, I'll include that as well, but really, it's as complete as I can think to make it: I don't know what else to put in it.

And I don't know what else to put in this post. It's raining like mad outside, wild wind, so I'm not in a huge hurry to get in the car and head home. I will noodle around here in the office a little while longer--at least make some photocopies, even if I don't accomplish anything more substantive. And that will be the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment