Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Not half bad

Despite a night of grinding insomnia and a relatively long day today, I'm pretty happy with how the classes went, especially Native American Lit (229). The assignment they have to do for Thursday can be daunting, so I went over it with them carefully, reassuring them that it was within their grasp--and that confusion is OK, should it occur. (Having said that, I now remember one of the seminars I went to about teaching practices, in which the presenter said that if you tell students you expect them to be confused, they will be. Oops. I have to find a way to let them know that I "expect" them to be able to work through the material beautifully while still making them feel comfortable if, in fact, they don't. I'll have to kick that around for a while until I find phrasing that might work.) In any event, I think they feel like they can do the assignment, which is the main thing.

Even though there were only ten students in the room, I put them in groups (three, three, and four) to go over the stories we read. Two students were there for the first time today (and I'll meet a few more in two of my other classes, tomorrow and Thursday). One of the new souls I think has at least a chance of getting caught up. The other, I'm not as hopeful. But the students who've been there all along were terrific at getting the new students up to speed--and at working through the stories in general. We had a great discussion about the first of the stories, and could have gone on a great deal longer. I love when a class runs out of time before it runs out of discussion.

And I already know all their names. Well, OK, ten students, not so hard, but I'm happy that I could call on them by name right away. I will have to do my dopey ice-breaker name thing in the 102s, as there are a lot more students in those. Still, within the next week or so, I should know everyone, name and face together.

And I already know a few names from today's 102. The class was pretty much as I anticipated (though one student is so aggressive in asking for clarifications that he doesn't hear me saying "you will ask those questions and look for answers collaboratively with your group"--even after the fourth repetition). I let them go way early--and realize, now, that I need to button up my syllabi in the future. My reading journal forms used to be a lot more complicated and confusing, so I set aside a class period to help students understand how to do them. Now I realize that the form is pretty damned easy (for anyone who is paying attention, Mr. Aggressive being a notable exception), so I really should have them read the first story and turn in the reading journal right away. Tomorrow and Thursday, we're going to have our work cut out for us, going over both stories in one class: one of them is bound to get short shrift.

My first impression of this section is that it's a very odd mix: some of the students are bright and together and with it. Others are so much dead wood (and the sooner I can prune them away, the better). The gap in the middle seems wider than it does with the other sections I've got--and my memory tells me (perhaps incorrectly, but still) that this is typical of classes during this particular time slot. Which is one more reason why I'm glad I won't be teaching in it next semester.

On a "normal" Tuesday evening, I'd stay here, working, until the main office closes at 7 (fulfilling my duties as evening assistant chairperson), and then I'd head off to dance class. Tonight, I'm half wired (the usual "I just finished teaching" energy jolt) and ninety percent pummeled with lack of sleep. (And yes, I know that adds up to more than 100 percent. That much math I can do.) I thought maybe the energy burst would take me through rereading the critical material I'll be teaching on Thursday with 229 (it is dense, and honestly, I tend to forget some of the key points, though I know they're crucial)--but when I tried to read it, I realized that although my eyes were taking in the words, the words weren't registering in any meaningful way with my brain.

For those of you who are interested, the critical material in question is chapters four and five of Vine Deloria Jr.'s God Is Red. I confess, shamefacedly, that I've not read the entire book--but what I have read is rich, rich stuff, and very helpful to get students to shake up their Eurocentric ideas of culture.

In any event, I'm not worried about not being able to do that prep tonight. I plan to go to bed as early as I can and get up at 6 tomorrow, even though I don't have to be "on" until my one and only class at 12:30. That gives me time for a good whack in the morning (and keeps me on the early schedule I'm trying to establish)--and with luck I'll have enough juice to also get in another good whack after class is over, maybe even all the way up until tomorrow's 7:30 dance class.

But that's tomorrow, and we know what Scarlett says about tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment