Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Tuesday, March 8, 2011

"Thank you, Dr. Payne"

I still find it strange to be called Dr. Payne. I'm used to "professor," with or without the name attached, but "Dr. Payne" still sounds funny. But how nice to hear it in a sentence with those two words, "thank you," in front of it. That from a student in today's 102: he admits to finding English difficult (he's a math/science guy), but he's earnest and genuinely wants to do well--and he's got the chops to do it. He was thanking me for helping him prioritize the work he's missing and for telling him that he's the kind of student I like to see succeed. He may never be a spectacularly good student in this discipline, but I can see he has the potential, and the work ethic, to improve, which is delightful in and of itself. Plus I just like him: he's a little more grown up than some of the crop, and the lights are on: clearly an intellect at work.

I must say, I'm very proud of myself for getting all the way to the end of today. Last night was a bad one in terms of sleep, so my eyes have felt like fine-grit sandpaper all day, and my energy (and mood) were not conducive to vast enthusiasm for teaching. I kept giving myself permission to bail--and didn't. Tomorrow I can make into an easy day if I want (or need) to: I only have one class, followed by a meeting, so I can come to campus late and leave early. I "should" grind through assignments tomorrow, and I will, if I'm feeling up for it, but if it's another day like today, I'll allow myself to procrastinate a while longer on marking revisions and take advantage of the time I can steal at home.

Speaking of papers to grade, Native American Lit was interesting today: their first substantial paper was due, so only four students showed up--out of the seven or eight who may still be sticking to the class. Three of the students who were missing today I hope will be back (with their papers) on Thursday: I like having a small class, but four students is a bit absurd. Still, those four are terrific--and one of them spoke up today for the first time, offering interpretations without prompting. Very cool.

Now I'm here to fulfill my evening office hour and to noodle around until dance class. Despite the gritty eyes factor, I do want to dance tonight, for the exercise and as something I do for the selfish pleasure of it. But between now and then, I'm not going to even pretend I'm going to get any work done. I'm going to read the current Dickens novel (I'm rereading them all, and am working through Martin Chuzzlewit at the moment), eat my dinner, and maybe close my eyes for a bit. God, I hope I sleep well tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment