Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Monday, April 4, 2011

Happy Postscript

I was just hitting "publish post" when the phone rang: the dean had gotten my e-mail on his cell phone and called to let me know that the student--what a surprise--had never mentioned the plagiarism issue at all. The dean also told me that the final decision about whether to allow the W--for whatever reason--rests with me, even if it were about attendance. He might try to plead the student's case, if attendance were the reason, but it would still be my decision. And he said that when he talks to the student tomorrow, he'll mention both that the W is mine to give or not and, more important, the plagiarism issue. I said if the student is too angry or feels too burdened to come back to class, then I'd understand--and the dean completed the sentence "and then he'd have to take the grade he deserves." Yep.

Just to note: if attendance had been the problem, and if the dean had explained what had happened, I'd probably have shown some mercy: turns out the young man was a victim of an attack. And I said to the dean that if the student had apologized and taken his lumps about the plagiarism, I might have shown more mercy (witness the other student I talked to today). But trying to weasel out of it, being combative? Nope. No mercy.

So now it will be very interesting to see A) whether the student comes back and if he does, B) how he behaves. I'm not taking bets either way, but I'd be curious to know where you all put your money.

But I'm very happy to know that I didn't need to worry about getting in there with my side of the story before the kid could do an end-run around me and my policies, that the dean wouldn't have overridden my decision in any event. Very good news.

And now, stay tuned for further exciting developments.

No comments:

Post a Comment