Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Wednesday, August 29, 2012

new technology

I know I'm showing my age, but I fucking hate the fact that everything is trying to go digital. I just went through tortures of the damned trying simply to get an actual print desk copy of one of the textbooks I'm going to be using. I sent a request for the book and instead got a very chipper "we're so proud of ourselves" e-mail--not even from the publisher but from some kind of distributor/fulfillment center--saying that my subscription to the online textbook was now active. Navigating the site to figure out how to get the physical book required a call to tech support (because I also couldn't reach our textbook representative either). Christ, it's annoying.

But now the book is on the way. Until it arrives, I just have to remember to bring the copy I have at home into the office (I always like to have one at each location, so I don't leave it in one place and find I need it in the other).

In terms of the whole scheduling madness, today was not bad--despite the fact that I got about an hour of actual sleep last night (I'd doze and wake but didn't go all the way under until about an hour before the alarm was going off). I don't think I fucked anything up; I'm starting to get the hang of things, mostly with Kathy's help. I didn't even need to talk with Bruce much; we still have some fires to put out, but there are plans in the works--and it's a moving target, as students continue to register. The only slightly maddening aspect of today's work was that every fifteen minutes (or so it felt), someone was calling in a panic saying that there were no sections of 001... and yet they're still testing students to place them into classes, even though we have no seats for them. Eventually, our hands are going to be tied: we won't have instructors or classrooms left. But the juggling continues for now.

All in all, I will be very glad when the Big Boss is back in town and I can turn whatever mess remains over to him.

I meant to be out of here an hour ago, but now I really am going to grab my bags and skedaddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment