Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Monday, September 23, 2013

Not bad, not bad...

Pretty good day, all in all, in fact. I was especially happy with the workshop experience in the Fiction class. We didn't get through as many stories as I'd hoped, so I suspect there will be several students who won't get the experience of hearing critiques this first round--though they'll still get written comments from everyone--but I'll make sure those students go first in the second workshop week. Of course, I could be surprised: we could whip through the remaining eight stories on Wednesday, but I'm not counting on it. Before class, while I was still in Advisement, I was concerned enough about the progress we'd make that I started revising the assignment schedule, adding an extra day of workshopping to each session--which meant ditching readings and was causing something of a train-wreck at the end of the semester, as I needed one more week than we actually have--but I decided to stick with the original schedule and plan. Saved myself some fuss and feathers--and the students seem OK with it.

More to the point, they did very well at actually offering critique: they were good at picking up on the problems in each other's stories, making suggestions, pointing out what they liked, framing their suggestions in a helpful and collegial fashion. At first, everyone was very hesitant to begin the critique process (and would have been similarly hesitant about being critiqued; fortunately, however, "Tyra" had already volunteered to be the first "victim" and was eager to go)--but once they got a sense for how the process works, they got downright eager, truly enjoying it. Well, most of them, anyway.

I haven't finished reading all the stories yet; I've got most of the homework for tomorrow's classes marked, so after I polish that off (shouldn't take long at all), I'll read and comment on the remaining stories (six of them). I am not worried about it; I'm sure I have sufficient time--but I absolutely have to finish them up before classes tomorrow. After tomorrow's classes, I'll be buried in 102 papers for the next two days. I'm curious to see if my new process saves time--and is more effective in producing results. Even if it only does the former, I'll be glad, but if it also accomplishes the latter, I may have to throw a party--or at least use it as an excuse for a steak blowout with Paul.

In terms of making my process easier, I'm on the fence about whether to use the online comment tools offered by TurnItIn or to stick with my trusty pen. If I have time to dick around enough to figure out how to do the online commenting, it may save me even more time/effort (I type a hell of a lot faster than I write by hand--and it's easier to read: bonus). Even if I don't manage to do my commenting online this round, I may try it on Paper 2. Maybe. We'll see. (One of my mantras.)

My 102 students are going to hate me for the next six weeks or so. First, they're going to have to split their focus for three weeks, alternately reading/logging poetry and working on their papers. Then, the week after their final version of paper 1 is due, they have to turn in their first version of paper 2--after which they have to alternate between revision and editing steps on paper 2 while they read the first chapters of The Left Hand of Darkness. I've tried to assign smaller chunks of reading during that process, but the split focus is going to require good compartmentalization skills on their part. Once paper 2 is completed, however, they're going to be grateful I hustled them through that process, because they'll be able to turn their attention exclusively to the novel: read/log/glossary, read/log/glossary, until it's time to do their final papers--also on the novel.

I was thinking I'd prepare them for this ungodly slog--and reassure them that once they're though it, things will get (somewhat) easier--but on some consideration, I think it's better not to set up that negative anticipation. I know if I think too far down the road, mentally stacking up all the weighty tasks I have to manage, I begin to hyperventilate. But if I take each task as it comes to the top of the pile--and knock off the little stuff immediately--then I don't feel panic. I just keep on turning the crank, as my father used to say, grinding it out: routine. No fuss.

This is an attitude I've been trying to acquire for years, and I'm glad it's finally starting to become part of my default setting. I know I'll get all the work done--I always do--so I'm not going to worry about how I'll get it done. I've been talking that language for quite some time, but now I feel it. I'm genuinely not worried (or only for very brief flashes). I am busy, yes, grinding hard, but I feel much more efficient when I'm not fraught with nerves. Seems so obvious, doesn't it? Being relaxed is more productive than being tense. (Studies have been done....)

So, to continue in that vein, I'm going to take my relaxed little self home, and relax even more. Up and at 'em again on that "other" day, you know.... (qv. previous posts, "Scarlett O'Hara).

No comments:

Post a Comment