Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Short(ish) post after long day

Today was mostly very scratchy: lots that happened was like sandpaper on my nerves--possibly simply because I'm systemically cranky and irritable these days for no apparent reason (something for me to monitor). But everything bugged me: the dreadful last few papers for the Mystery class (seriously bad); the colleague from P&B who insisted on sitting down with me to give me the same feedback fourteen times--feedback which he's already given me in writing and which had been equally firmly stated by other colleagues--and who still didn't answer my main question; the e-mails from another colleague on that same issue who apparently didn't understand my question, despite my asking four or five different ways; a rather contentious P&B meeting in which, among other things, an unfair--and unfounded--accusation was leveled against the Scheduling Committee (which I'm on).... Even on my walk to class, as I was breathing deeply and trying to get into a better mental state, the two colleagues I encountered included The Putz and the problem faculty member from last semester (the full-timer to whom I gave an unsatisfactory evaluation--and who, in his response to my evaluation called me a liar, in so many words, several times). I'm amazed I didn't walk into 102 ready to tear heads off--but they were their usual lovely selves, so they helped me calm down. The Mystery class continued that  process. And the observation I just conducted was also a pleasure--so all that helped reduce my irritability. The nerves got a little more sandpapering from some ASLE business: I'm being pressured to participate in a discussion I am completely unable to contribute to in any meaningful way, and I've said that very clearly--but again, somehow what I'm saying is not being heard. That's a feeling I do not handle well at all. I think I'm pretty damned clear most of the time, so when I say something several different ways and still apparently am not understood, I get profoundly frustrated. Breathe, Prof. P, breathe.

In any event, I do recognize that my pesky P&B sabbatical mentor is tremendously well-intentioned--and he did say he would get the answer to my question at long last: I just checked my e-mail and there's nothing there, but there may be something waiting in my mailbox (the office and mailroom are closed now). And, in terms of the Mystery papers, I deliberately saved the work from MFS until last--and what a delight that was, to end with her truly excellent work (her paper was an A-, though I told her the A+ is within her reach, with just a little revision). I had a rather touching conversation with one student from that class who is struggling with severe depression, which is making it very difficult for her to work: we're going to try doing some work one-on-one, to see if that little bit of extra support can help her feel less dragged down by my class at least. And as I mentioned, the new adjunct I observed was delightful.

So, I'm going to pull together everything I need to take with me to Advisement tomorrow so I can work there, in between students (thank God there isn't much traffic yet)--and I have to be in early so I can leave early to conduct yet another observation.

And so it goes. I'll be back here in about 13 hours. Christ. If nothing crops up unexpectedly, next week will be a cake walk after this one. Well, apart from that whole revising the sabbatical application thing. But even so.


No comments:

Post a Comment