Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Wha hoppen???

I was so sanguine when I left last night, was so relaxed this morning--and then, as the day wore on, the anxiety started to build. I know I'll get it all done--I always do--but I have no idea what happened: somehow it now feels like tomorrow will be a mad scramble, not the relaxed stroll I was anticipating yesterday. I hadn't intended to, but I came back to the office after my doctor's appointment to get some more grading done. Well, specifically, to get some commenting done: once I get to the "read it and slap a grade on it" part, things will move more quickly; it's commenting that takes real time. But even the read/slap process does take time: (I do actually read the papers--maybe not every single word, but I at least skim everything, and read good portions of each paper, so I know why I'm assigning a grade.

I also spent some time just now starting the fussy process of grade calculations--which I certainly make harder for myself than is strictly necessary, but years ago I realized I was simply going by gut and that I'd feel more secure in defending the gut decision if I had some "data" to back it up. I grant you, grading in the humanities is very much a gut process. Even when we have specific criteria by which to judge, what really determines the difference between an A thesis and a B or C thesis? We know what a thesis is meant to do, but part of the evaluation is unquantifiable (our perpetual dilemma in assessment). But still, having a mathematical equation to resort to at the end at least gives the appearance of rationality. The decision of what specific grade to give a particular assignment may still be highly subjective, but once those grades are assigned, I can (and do) add the numbers, apply the appropriate weighting of percentages toward the final grade, and come up with a number. And I will say that in the past, when students have come to me to complain about a grade, it's been very useful to be able to simply point to the math.

I also spent a little time getting the idiotic paper "permanent grade record" forms ready to be filled in. Every semester since we switched to Banner I've bitched about those paper records: in the electronic age, why the fuck do we need them? But this is just one of those hoops one is required to jump through. I used to say it about graduate school, and now I say it about applications for sabbaticals and promotion: the Powers That Be hold up various hoops for us to jump through, and all we're required to say is, "OK: in what attitude and wearing what costume?"--and then comply.

One of my colleagues always responds to onerous demands with "Or what?" You must turn in your permanent grade record forms--or what? You must put in X amount of time advising students (quite apart from the reassigned time that Paul and I get)--or what? No one has satisfactorily answered that: the big threat is "or you'll be considered in breach of contract," but it's fantastically rare for that to lead to any actual consequence (docking of pay, de-tenuring....)

In any event, I'm glad I had today to just put my head down and grind (and I did get one more little thingy crossed off the "to do" list). Paul said that Advisement was mobbed--and of course, at this point, we're hardly seeing the experienced, well-prepared students who understand the degree requirements. I'm very happy to have missed it.

Now, however, since it seems I will have to jump to work with some alacrity tomorrow, and since it's getting late, I'm leaving (again). In a moment of wild optimism, I suggested to Paul that maybe we could go out to dinner together tomorrow, but now I'm wondering how long I'll be chained to the desk (as I refuse to leave until I am utterly, completely finished). Miracles do occur, however. If I'm visited by one tomorrow, that will be lovely. If not, c'est la vie.



No comments:

Post a Comment