Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Monday, October 13, 2014

Academic Progress Reports

They used to be called "early warning," but in "Their" infinite wisdom, "They" decided that calling the system "Academic Progress" was better--I guess because we can tell students they're doing well, in addition to telling them all the reasons why they're in trouble. In my 101s, the students who need some kind of warning (up to those who need to withdraw, period) far outweigh the ones who are doing OK, never mind those who are actually doing well. Well, this is the way it goes.

Only four students showed up for class today, which was pretty damned discouraging. I did try out a process, which at least used up a little time: I asked our department IT person to set up the room so I could project things from a computer onto a screen, and she did (she's quite wonderful)--and that allowed me to type in a student's freewrite so everyone could see it. We then proceeded to brainstorm ideas about how the little bit he'd written could be expanded into a story: what would the conflict be, what parameters would we have to figure out.... It went OK, but I'm realizing I truly need to pick the brains of my colleagues who also teach the course, find out what they do with most class periods. Longer free-writing? More workshopping? I'm at a loss here.

I also am hoping that everyone shows up next week when the class is going to be observed; if not, it's going to be a debacle of epic proportions.

My mind is boinging around all over the place: student stuff, paperwork, promotion application, trying to figure out what I'm forgetting in terms of committee tasks. Today felt modestly productive at least (despite the class being a bit of a clunker). I am, however, starting to truly regret that I signed up for the Conversation Partner thing again. Not only do I find that I rather resent having to take time out of my Monday evening to meet with a student, but this particular student is difficult in the extreme, because of whatever autistic-spectrum disorders he has. I can tell he's very sweet and cares deeply about his ability to do well, but trying to converse with him is very difficult. Ah well.

The office is a bit of a mess, but I'm going to leave it in a mess until I get in tomorrow morning. I've pretty well and truly hit the wall, so I'm going to simply fall in a heap, metaphorically speaking. Thank god tomorrow isn't today but is, in fact, another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment