Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Sunday, August 2, 2015

Chaos reigns!

Every time I work through one step in my semester prep, I uncover a problem with the assignment flow or how and where I've expressed things, or something else I need to rework for whatever reason. And as I started putting things up on Blackboard, very confident that I knew what I was doing, I uncovered some problems there--among them the fact that the order of discussion board threads doesn't stay put but changes every time I add something new. On Friday I sent an e-mail to the IT folks, asking if someone would be willing to help me get everything rolled over and up and ready--whatever the various steps are called--and now I think I'm going to need several steps of assistance.

I am in one of my manic states, in which I think, "I can keep going!"--but I know that the return on investment is starting to decline: it's like when I've tried to pay bills when I was distracted by something else and have made howling errors (like writing the check for the balance that's left in my account after subtracting the check amount instead of for the actual check amount). (It's complicated. Don't ask me to explain.)

And the area around my computer in my apartment is starting to look a lot like my office, with steaming piles of who the hell knows what strewn liberally all over the place.

Still, I do think progress is being made.

By someone. Somewhere.

I'm going to take a few minutes to at least make an attempt at some kind of triage on the swirl of papers all around me, but then I'm hanging it up for today. It's a coin toss whether I'll be a good girl and go out for a walk or collapse on the couch--to read possible books for the SF class. I assume I am going to teach the SF class. William and I agreed to wait until Aug. 17 to make a decision about the MDC course, but it's looking like that one just isn't going to fly. And I created a super nifty flier and everything. Ah well. I'll be happy to teach SF after all these years--or I think I will be. I understand from a colleague that the students will be Star Trek geeks of the highest order--not that there's anything wrong with that--but I think I'll find it easier to strike the balance between "this is fun stuff to read" and "we are scholars and have to think like that" for the SF class than I do for Mystery & Detective--over which I continue to fret (and about which I have adopted the Scarlett O'Hara mantra of putting off thinking about it until I'm stronger).

OK, stopping now, or I'll still be blathering come midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment