Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Almost certainly a mistake

It's ridiculously early, by my standards, but I'm calling it a day. I still have quite a bit of material to mark for tomorrow's class, but I have been so painfully tired all day, I can't begin to make sense of what I'm reading, not even to decide if there are punctuation or spelling problems. I actually was very nervous driving to work this morning: every time I'd blink, I'd nearly fall asleep. I'm slightly more awake now: I'm not sure if that's due to my natural circadian rhythm or the fact that I've gotten a little energy jolt from working, but I can tell that it's going to slip away from me very soon--and I'd rather drive while I still have some of it left.

I split the difference about Advisement today: I didn't go in, but I said I'd make up the time next week. And sitting here in the office, I did get the mechanics reviews marked for the 101 students and all the reading responses marked for the Poetry students (except one student who submitted such a chaotic mess, I couldn't tell what I was supposed to look at), and I finished up the last of the trailing homework for the 101 students in class as they worked on their mechanics reviews.

The borderline hostile male student was not there today--perhaps because I said that his second submission of his final paper was not a passing effort. Whenever I get a little fierce with a student and then don't see the student in the next class, I always assume the student has fled. However, Miss Confusing was back today, despite having missed to classes--and a huge chunk of her final grade because of missed submissions.

Whatever. Twice more with them and I'm done.

The Poetry class was briefly a little more fun today. We read Anne Sexton's "The Farmer's Wife," and after a little confusion--arising mostly from the fact that the students expected to be confused--they realized they actually did get the poem, and then they got a little hilarious about the kind of relationship that leaves a person (in this case a woman) thinking, "Is this all I get?" and dreaming of more while burying the resentment, not admitting to it.

If only they could have been like that all semester--but I'm glad we got at least a brief blip of it.

I don't have anything else to note today: I'm too tired to think. Tomorrow's post may be very brief, too: it turns out Kristin has to be on campus until about 6, so she and I are going to grab the chance to have an impromptu dinner together. (It usually takes us months to find a time to get together.) So, we're meeting right after she finishes up--early dinner for me, and early out of here. But I hope to get a blog post in of some kind, even if it is a brief one.

One more week with the students, then one week dealing with schedules (for full and part time faculty), and then, it's time to start those sea-cucumber impersonations.

But I have to get there first. So, until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment