Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Monday, February 4, 2019

A second, more interesting post (or I hope more interesting)

So, I'm in the office, and I've been cleaning out files and am starting on the bookcases. Along the way, I've been throwing out all the stuff I was keeping because I had needed it in the past for some reason (a year-end evaluation, a promotion application, whatever)--including stuff that I would have needed this year, if I'd stayed long enough to do another year-end evaluation. And I keep feeling little waves of freak-out that I'm throwing the stuff away. "Wait! I might need that!"

I also ran across the form granting me reassigned time for the fall (well, actually for the whole year, but we didn't know I'd be leaving when I applied for it). We're supposed to write a report at the end of each semester about what we did with the time and why it was useful. I didn't. Little "I'm being a bad girl" freak out--but then I thought, "What are they going to do, fire me?"

I also came across one of my very first academic publications, in the conference proceedings for a conference I went to in September 2001, something like ten days after the World Trade Towers were bombed. (And I vividly remember the vague sense of dread getting on a plane--and the faint horror of flying over the site: brightly lit, smoldering, covered with workers and heavy equipment, digging through the rubble.) It's not much of a piece, a little pedagogy thingy, but even so, I had a little of that, "You know, I write pretty well" feeling. I've had that more powerfully in the past, re-encountering something I've published and thinking, "Wow, I wrote that??" Hardly that, in this case, but it was still gratifying to think, "Hey, you know, I used to be able to think."

I realize, too, as I embark on this process, that cleaning out the file cabinets is going to be pretty daunting--unless I bite the bullet and simply throw everything away: don't salvage folders; don't worry about whether I might want it again; just put everything--everything--directly in the recycling bin. I'm not sure I can quite bring myself to do that, but ... well, it might be an interesting exercise in shedding weight I don't need to carry around with me, literally or metaphorically. (And as I write that, I'm looking at some things on my bookshelf--gardening books, a book for a German class, old editions of MLA--and thinking, "Those can just go straight to the radiator or to recycle." I tend to hold on to books pretty fiercely, but really: most of them I haven't so much as glanced at in millennia. So why am I hanging on to them? I won't notice they're gone.

And there are all the office supplies I've accumulated: do I want them for any reason? Paper clips and staples and staplers, maybe, but chalk? sheet protectors? And how many ring binders does a person really need to have on hand, just in case?

I probably have known for most of my life that I am something of a pack rat, but dear God in heaven, this is a revelation. "Something" of a pack rat indeed. I'm not quite at hoarding levels, I'm relieved to say, but I do hang on to a lot more than I ought.

And that doesn't just refer to physical objects, either. Metaphorically very, very true, across the board. So this whole retirement/relocating process is really a process of seeing how much I can let go. More than I suspect, is my hunch, but it will be interesting to see. And I am going to push myself right up to the very edge of what I can stand, too: If I'm at all on the fence about something, if I don't feel an instant and powerful "No! I want that!" then out it goes.

It's a strangely insecure feeling, as if, without all that weight, I could just disappear in a puff of breeze. But no: the substance is not, in fact, substantial: it's the intangible stuff that provides all the roots I will ever need. Still, strange to experience. Very strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment