Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Thursday, March 14, 2019

Well, it was a day

This was a morning when, if I were still in the classroom, I'd probably have opted to stay home. I had just enough of a headache and was just sufficiently sleep-deprived that my impulse was "fuck this, I'll stay home." But then I thought, "Four and a half hours? Probably not constant work; probably down time in there? Oh, I can do that, no problem. And I finish at 4."

So, here I am. And in fact I did have a fair amount of down time--enough that, for a switch, I started playing around with ideas for a clear, student friendly guide to GSP (grammar, spelling, punctuation), working from absolute basics and presented in a way that students would, I hope, find more engaging and understandable than any style manual I've ever seen. But in the process, I realized that one of my colleagues is absolutely brilliant at clear explanations of grammar points; in fact, he produced an illustrated guide to tense structures that I've been using with great gratitude in working with some of the ESL students who come in for help. So I asked him if he might want to collaborate on something. My dream would be for whatever Matt and I put together to be packaged as a companion to Paul's book that addresses the deeper, more theoretical/intellectual aspects of college writing. But in talking with Matt about it, I realized that what I was doing would be absolutely the wrong thing: too many words. (Sort of like Mozart and "too many notes." https://youtu.be/H6_eqxh-Qok?t=26) Matt is right: it needs to be highly visual--and the information needs to be presented as students would learn it in a classroom. So, for example, comma splices wouldn't be discussed in a section on commas but in their own section. Actually, the style guide I've used addresses them in a section on grammar, along with run-ons and fragments, which is slightly better, but even that's too unwieldy. There needs to be a section just on sentence boundaries, then another on building complex sentences, and so on.

Hell, I'm retired: I have nothing but time to do this kind of thing. But really, I think Matt would do a much better job at it than I would. The only thing I have that he doesn't is time to screw around with it.

Otherwise, I have very little to report. I came; I saw students; I noodled. Now I can take off. So I will do precisely that. I realize I truly do not feel that I am in the trenches anymore. I'm not sure what the war analogy would be; maybe I'm in some kind of negotiations. But this work doesn't feel like a battle, which is quite lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment