Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Saturday, February 8, 2020

Oh, blech

I've been trying to write a little. For reasons that remain mysterious, I have been riddled with anxieties yesterday and today, and as is often the case for me, anxiety and feeling down/depressed often go together. And I do feel down. I hoped that trying to write would bring me out of it, as being productive in one way or another often does. I also tried a little grading of student assignments until I realized that--since everything for this week is due tomorrow--it's rather pointless to embark on that enterprise until more students have done the work.

I shoveled the driveway.

I'd have cleaned the house, but that's what I did yesterday to try to combat the anxiety/blues.

And I should have known better about trying to write in this state of mind: I'm forcing it, and consequently, I absolutely loathe and despise what I've written, even as I'm writing it.

This is why I don't think I'm a writer, only a person who occasionally writes. When I write well enough that I like the result, it happens because the story, the words, come to me and won't shut up. My dear friend the playwright Jane Shepard said of one of her plays that it woke her up in the night and wouldn't let her sleep. It kept saying, "Write this down. You have to get up and write this down"--and that the process was, she said, like taking dictation. And I've had stories like that. The one that's been published, "Birds in the Head," was like that. All the stories in that story suite were like that, in fact. And parts of the historical novel have been, too--and as soon as I start trying to make a scene happen that I know needs to happen to get the plot across the arc I know it needs to take, the result is, to me, nauseating.

Yes, yes, yes. As I've said: I know the received wisdom, that our task is to just write anyway and know that the shit can be dealt with--revised, reworked, or even thrown out wholesale--but must be gone through in order to get to the stuff that sings. I know I am too hard on myself, and that I'd be a lot more productive it I could turn the volume down on the judgmental voice inside me that sneers in disdain at my own work.

I also know I don't have to write on any specific thing: if this project isn't "speaking" to me, then I can try that one instead--and generally speaking, my essays don't require the same kind of "channeling the muse" feeling that my fiction or poems need. But a while back I wrote a post that I wasn't "feeling" it, and that is the case in spades today.

But it's too early to go to bed, in hope that tomorrow might turn out to be a better day. This whole "being retired" gig is a hell of a challenge for those of us who are not terribly driven to do much of anything but who also don't want to simply allow the devolution into killing time until it kills us.

Ach, I annoy myself. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself, but something other than wallow in my own uselessness, which is apparently what I'm doing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment