Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Sunday, October 7, 2018

Should, should, should

Look how early it is! There's plenty of daylight left, and this is way before the time at which I really have to stop working in order to have any chance of winding down before bed. So, of course, I "should" keep grading. I got the essays allotted for today done, and I could keep going, but ... well, I'm not gonna.

I decided to email the student who was granted an extension to the deadline because of a glitch with Turnitin but who still--still!--hasn't submitted. I thought for a while about just leaving him in happy ignorance until our conference, but I decided to forewarn him. So, he got a message explaining that he's now in the territory of no comments and huge penalties because of late submission--and explaining that just the fact that he finished the essay is not sufficient: he needed to actually submit the damned thing. If he doesn't upload by tomorrow, zero credit. Add that to his absences and missing work and ... well, his chances of getting the A he wants had already flown the coop, but now he's going to have to really pull his socks up if he wants to pass with a transferable C.

As for today's essays, one was very good indeed. Most were well within normal parameters. Two were hopeless: both were half the required length, and one was entirely personal voice. Nope and nope.

The one slight frustration for today is the fact that I'm not sure I've been using a "mechanics" checklist that has the correct page numbers for the new edition of the students' handbook--and for some reason, although I usually have copies of the handbooks scattered all over creation, I don't have one at home, so I can't check. I may, therefore, have to take some time tomorrow morning to re-do those checklists. It won't take long, fortunately, but still. Argh.

In any event, I have been out to walk briskly between sets of essay grading and mostly stuck to my "comment less, move more quickly" determination. (Two notable exceptions. Oh well. I still got everything done in a timely manner.) Now all that remains in terms of work to do today is to make sure all the files are on a thumb drive, which will take all of about a minute. And then I'm free to fritter away the remainder of my Sunday. That counts as a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment