Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Another one

Caught deliberate plagiarist number 2 today. Of course, it took a while for the suspicion to grow loud enough to send me to Google--and then once I started looking, I found more and more instances in the paper. It's a measure of how out of it I am that I was so slow picking up on the fact that what I was reading could not possibly be this student's work; I feel a bit of an idiot about that, but at least I did catch it. She'll get the infamous letter (and Sara pointed out the irony of the fact that I have, in essence, plagiarized the plagiarism letter--although I have carte blanche from Paul to steal it, so I think that lets me off the hook at least a little). In any event, getting that all sorted out took most of the paper-grading time I had after class and before dance lesson, dammit; that means I have to get up revoltingly early tomorrow to get the rest of the papers graded for 229--and to get at least some of the homework done for MB. Normally I'd try to get some done in the break between classes, but tomorrow that break will be filled with a placement reading norming session. It is tremendously helpful to have these periodic norming sessions (I almost wish we had them for grading papers), but it's a pain in the patoot that it will eat up that precious break. (I'll also have to bear it in mind when I figure out my lunch for tomorrow... hmmm.)

But back to the plagiarist: I admit I was slow on the uptake this time around, but I realize I do need to repeatedly explain how easy it is for us (generally speaking) to recognize what is or is not student writing--and by this time in the semester, even to recognize whether the writing is likely to come from any particular student. I can't say I'd be able to tell one bad student from another, or one good student from another, but I sure can tell when a bad student suddenly starts writing like a good one, never mind when he/she begins to write like a professional. And I am repeatedly surprised that students don't seem to think we'll notice--or realize that if they can find a source by googling, we can find it too.

But there is a thornier problem which I am also facing in 229: I suspect another student of plagiarizing. He didn't do the cut and paste from the internet thing, but it is clear that if he actually did the writing, he had a hell of a lot of help. I suspect someone else wrote it for him (or at least most of it), but I can't prove it. One of my colleagues (who has been teaching longer than I) is completely content to say to her students "It's plagiarism if I say it is: I don't have to prove it." I don't feel right about that--but I do think I have to have a little talk with this young man. If I accuse him, he'll almost certainly get defensive and deny (which students are all too likely to do even when one catches them with the proverbial red hands), but if I offer a gentle warning, I'm hoping that will be enough to stop him from going any further down that particular path.

That, in turn, gives me a thought: I have been wondering what to do for a freewrite topic for this week's 101s, as there is no assigned reading I can use for inspiration. But if I can find it, there is a wonderful quotation in Dorothy Sayers' (Sayers's?) Lord Peter Wimsey novel Gaudy Night, in which a professor asks what satisfaction can come from claiming credit for work one has not done. Might be interesting to get them musing about that aspect of cheating.

I'll mull it over. But I really do have to fold up my tents for tonight: 5 a.m. is going to arrive far too soon as is, and I still need to wind down...

Two post scripts: 1) The comment function is now working for people other than William (hooray! and thanks for checking, Stacy and Sara), so comment away, dear readers. 2) In the furor over nailing the plagiarist, I came close to bailing on swing class again--but I gave myself permission to go, and had a blast. East Coast swing: loads of fun. I'll have to ask what the difference is from the West Coast variety, but it doesn't matter. I'm moving my dainty feet and enjoying myself utterly. Life isn't just about work, thank God.

14 comments:

  1. Rather than outright accusing a student, I've found it helpful to invite the student to have a conversation with me. During the conversation, I'll ask the kid to clarify concepts from the paper. ("What exactly do you mean by 'Post-Freudian America'?"). Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised; more often, the student can't articulate the ideas in his own paper, at which point I ask if he had help and get into that discussion...Of course, that's time consuming, but I think it's better than accusing w/o evidence (which I think could actually have some legal ramifications) or just letting the kid get away with it.

    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Testing: Sara Hosey is the most beautiful of the non-tenured, full-time professors at NCC with an a.m. schedule and Fridays off (campus).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara, I agree, and I'll probably do something along those lines. William, I agree: and I hope Sara reads your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be damned if I can ever remember my password for this blog. I have to re-invent myself whenever I respond. Plus, the word-verification feature needed to post is intensely irritating. Half the time I can't make it out. Plus, I don't know if all my comments are blog-worthy. I mean, couldn't people essentially hijack this forum to talk about what they were interested in? To hell with Teaching Reflections, or whatever. Sara, do you want to go for a drink next Monday?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, how come you're using my blog to invite Sara out for a drink? What am I, chopped liver?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've decided to start my own blog: BBLOGG. And here is where it's located!! I'll tell all my friends that when they are in the friending mood they need to log into http://proftlpsview.blogspot.com/
    and proceed directly to "Another One" of Tuesday, December 1, 2009. And from there we can arrange a full and varied social calendar. But sorry Sara (and TP), this Monday may be out. The gods have decided to punish me by giving me a real sore throat this weekend. When else are you free?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry you are ailing instead of "ailing." Mondays are no good for me anyway, so you should refer to your other girlfriend (harrumph). Maybe Wednesday, if you're feeling better by then?

    ReplyDelete
  8. He also said December is the cruelest month, mixing cold wet rain with endless number crunching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know you have been having difficulty sleeping well at night, so I was especially pleased to read about my important role in your recent oneiric excursion. Of course, the plumbing in the Math Department Bathroom Building is antiquated! It's a wonder you got out alive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My 205 students are really bad. I've never been so disheartened about teaching Paradise Lost.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just to add my own two cents: <a href="http://richardjnewman.com/2009/12/19/why-i-hate-grading-papers-part-2/>Why I Hate Grading Papers - Part 2</i>.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, I see your comments section doesn't allow html. Didn't realize that. Sorry. Here's the link with the html: http://richardjnewman.com/2009/12/19/why-i-hate-grading-papers-part-2/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rich--I think I will take a piece from your plagiarism lecture and include the bit about students thinking I won't care enough to actually read their papers or notice. It is maddening that they do not understand how easy it is for us to detect when something is plagiarized--even if it's hard for us to prove exactly how (in the cases of papers that were generated by a "pay for essay" site or by Aunt Mildred). It does feel personally offensive, though it oughtn't. They don't think of us as people anyway....

    ReplyDelete