Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Another quickie

I feel like I'm in some ridiculous gauntlet in which students hurl papers and assignments and sources and questions at me--or perhaps like Alice when the Queen of Hearts et al. turn into cards and fly around her head. It took me an hour just to sort out what I have: yet-to-be-marked homework, yet-to-be-marked revisions, end-of-semester self-evaluations, sources for final projects, peer responses to final projects, my notes on final projects (with six more to go)--and a few panic, last-minute proposals for 229. One I could approve; one is damned close (and I think he'll be able to respond to my comments and get me something approvable tomorrow). One student missed class on Monday and hasn't contacted me. One student missed class, dropped off something completely inadequate--but is out of class anyway; I just need to tell him so (he's over the limit in terms of absences). And one student apparently thinks he can write the paper based on his extremely uncertain understanding of class discussion, without having read the novel, never mind having understood it.

I do not understand this kind of student. In class he'll freely confess to being bewildered, but he steadfastly refuses to come to me for help. (Is he afraid I'll bite? Do I have bad breath? What??) He apparently won't get help anywhere else, either (for instance, from the Writing Center). He doesn't hesitate to ask me to reconfigure the assignment so he doesn't have to do the required work, but he won't do what he needs to so he can do the work I require. (Prolix sentence, but you get the drift.) He will not pass. I know he won't, and I suspect he knows he won't--but he won't withdraw either.

I used to knock myself out trying to rescue kids like that. Not any more. I will make the offer of help--I've made it repeatedly, in fact--but if he isn't motivated (or brave) enough to take me up on it, then I wash my hands. I'd rather deal with the student who didn't show up to class (for the 7th time), left that inadequate proposal in my mailbox, and hasn't bothered to check to see if it was approved. If he turns up tomorrow (doubtful, but one never knows), I'll simply lead him back outside, explain that his only options are withdraw or fail, and let him be pissed off until he realizes that it won't get him anywhere. At least with him the issue is clear. The one who's still floundering around as if he wants to make it--showing up, turning in unmitigated bilge but at least turning in something--is harder to eliminate.

Heavy sigh.

I'm still doing the rotation of putting out fires, trying to figure out which assignments need my attention first. Meanwhile, all committee work is at a stand-still. If it bursts into flames (metaphorically speaking), someone else will have to find the fire extinguisher. I'll deal with committee stuff when I'm back in January. For now, I want--and need--to have as much grading done as possible before I get on that plane on Tuesday, so I have a fighting chance of getting my final grades turned in before the paper-pushers start tsking at me. I had a little panic attack earlier, worrying that my final grade sheets might not be available before I leave--and then I remembered that we don't get those on paper anymore: that's all on the online system (Banner: a somewhat user-hostile industry standard program for keeping administrative records, registering students, and so on). So I have only one stupid paper record to bother with, not two--and I already have that one.

Despite the problems with Banner, one of its advantages is I can check who is registered in my classes any time I like. I'm flattered that a number of 101 students--generally among the better ones--have chosen me for 102 as well. I'm a little worried about low enrollment in 281 (Nature in Lit), but it's early days yet. If it's still looking dicey in January, I'll see if there is any kind of advisement going on that I might haunt with flyers, metaphorically body snatching, working to fill seats. Sometimes I've gotten terrific students that way--but with Banner handling registration, very few students actually go for advisement any more (and those who do are often not exactly top drawer). Makes student rustling harder.

In any event, right now my eyes are burning, but I am still going to go to swing class. I'll have to miss the next two weeks, so I want to get as much into my muscle memory as I can before I spend my vacation forgetting it all. And I have just enough time to look at my calendar, think about tomorrow, and strategize a little before I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment