Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Sunday, December 18, 2011

Lovely, but somehow unfair

Why do you suppose it is that this semester, when I don't have to worry about getting everything done early so I can travel unimpeded by school work, is the only semester I can recall when I've been in shape to be finished early? There's some kind of cosmic influence at work, I'm sure.

OK, the cosmic influence is aided by the following facts: 1) I am teaching three classes, not four; 2) the attrition rate in all those classes has been drastic. I have a grand total of 32 students left at this point. That's only a fraction more than the usual enrollment for one section at the start of the term (literature classes are officially capped at 28; comp sections at 24, though unofficially, sometimes sections get overloaded).

I confess, I'm feeling marginally guilty about this. I made the decision not to see my family for the holidays this year because I was so certain I'd be facing a repeat of the last many years, of frantic flurry and stress and grinding exhaustion getting the semester finished and myself packed an on a plane--and now it seems I could have traveled with a minimum of fuss. But I also confess, I feel almost giddy with relief that I can glide into the holidays without even the jangle of having to pack. I'm soaking in the miracle of stress-reduction.

So here it is, the Sunday before the final week of classes, and I'm all but finished with two of the three sections,, to whit:

For the short story class, I'll be collecting their final papers tomorrow (Monday); I simply need to read those to determine the grades, enter that last number into the mathematical equation, and presto: final grades. I'm on the fence about whether to show students their grade forms with all but that last piece in place and let them figure the math of what they need to pass, or to get the grade they're hoping for. (As in: if you want a B, here's how to figure what your final paper grade would need to be in order to get it.) Doing so would certainly reduce any amount of fuss on the last day--but it may also scare the bejezus out of students who mathematically are going to fail but to whom I intend to give a mercy D. I don't know. I'll mull that over between now and tomorrow.

For the M/W 102, I will be collecting self-evaluations tomorrow. Their papers are already read and graded. Once again, I simply have to plug in the last piece of the math and the final grade will pop out. I actually already am pretty certain what the final grades will be: that last assignment isn't likely to tip anyone over (or under) a border between two grades--but it's marginally possible. A few students are riding close to the edge, but most are solidly in whatever range for the grade.

In any event, because I'm so far ahead of the curve, I'm taking the rest of today off. I've been putting off getting groceries for days, and as it's a sunshiny day (chilly but bright), I'm going to take this opportunity to stave off my tendency to turn into a mole person and head out into the light. I'm even going to make the trek to the far but splendid market (she writes, with an internal, triumphant "So there!"). I'm heading into the week knowing I'll have plenty of time to work on adjunct scheduling--maybe even time (and brain energy) to work on my own article, or the Chancellor's Award. Wouldn't that be amazing for a final week of a semester?

No comments:

Post a Comment