Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Productive

Today I looked at most of the applications for associate and full professor, was feeling very proud of myself about the accomplishment--and we ended up mostly talking about the applications for assistant, which I never looked at. Figures. I've been pretty much useless on that committee most of the semester, and I hate feeling that way, so today was just more of the same--but I am now essentially on top of what remains for this term. Which ain't much, as the term is essentially over, but still, it was a productive stint of work.

In working so hard to get those promotion applications looked at, however, I completely forgot to do the last set of journals for today's 102, dammit. One student asked about hers--and she has to turn in her paper early, as she'll be away on Thursday--so I told her to let me know if she needs the journal to finish her paper, and if so, I'd have it on the door tonight. I've not heard from her, so I'm assuming she doesn't need it back until next week.

The students in today's class were great, back to their best behavior, engaged and active in participation. They asked good questions that were useful for everyone, about documentation, using critical sources, and so on. Eventually, however, those questions ran dry, and I was able to go from one to the next, circling the room to help out as needed. At that point, I told them (as I had for yesterday's class) that if they were better served by taking off to work on their own, they could split--and a few did, but the majority stayed, including the one young woman who has been resistant all semester. She's finally getting it, and she and I talked about that a little, what might have helped her get on track earlier. I told her she's a better student now, learning more now, than she has been all semester. She was unhappy that it's too late for her grade, but I reminded her that the learning is what matters most. If she's on the borderline between a D+ and a C, I'll give her the C, as a reward for her (belated but still significant) effort. I wish she could acknowledge that she robbed herself, not only of the better grade but also of a significant college experience, by trying to do as she's always done in the past, despite mounting evidence that doing so would not be sufficient. I'm not sure what she's learned in terms of herself, her behaviors, but she certainly has learned that she needs to put more effort into being clear about what's expected early on.

In fact, I'd say the interactions with students in class were all good: interesting to me and productive to the students. I love the way they tease and ruffle each other. The threesome (usually foursome, but the fourth member has been absenting herself somewhat) were in their usual form today, helping and challenging each other. At one point, the two young men were vying for my attention, while the young woman sat between them, not asking for anything--so of course, I gave her my attention first. The guys got their fair share, but ye gods, are they aggressive about it sometimes. After making sure everyone else had what they needed, I ended up essentially editing some of Bright Young Man's language, talking it through as I did so. He's sophisticated enough in his thinking that I don't need to pull the wording out of him; right now, he's better served by seeing how his own wording can be clarified by being simplified. My ego was nicely bolstered by how impressed he was, not only by how quickly I can read and respond but also by how quickly I could edit. Years of experience, Darlin', years of experience.

At the end of class, BYM followed me back to the office, largely because he wanted to talk about possible schools he might transfer to. By luck, Paul was here, so when BYM asked about Middlebury, although I could provide no information, Paul knew a lot and cheerfully provided it. In addition, I'm encouraging BYM to consider schools from Berkeley on up the coast: I think he'd be very happy in the northwest. He was worried about asking me for a letter of recommendation, but I assured him--quite truthfully--that I'd be delighted. I've got an investment in his success, and I want him to end up at a school that suits him and where he'll thrive.

Thinking of him, I just took a look at my class counts. Nature in Lit is not moving, dammit: I need to get more fliers out. And the student who needs to turn in her paper early said she signed up for Native American Lit, but I don't see her on the rosters: I may check with her about that. BYM is trying very hard to shill Nature in Lit for me, which I appreciate. Any help is good. Prayer counts, too, for any of you willing to get on the wavelength for me on this.

Shifting gears, I'm still worrying a little, mostly subliminally, about my To Do list: I can't shake the feeling that I've forgotten something crucial. (In fact, I got a hell of a scare today: I dropped off my observations, and Bruce's administrative assistant called me to say that she had me down for one more. Panic in the streets--until Paul overheard and said no, that person was his to observe, and the observation is in the process of being written. Fortunately I hadn't had time to get in a full-fledged lather about it, but zoiks.) Not being certain what else I need to do, I started working on recording grades, for those who simply disappeared from classes: it's never too early to start getting the paperwork done. I find the paperwork oddly enjoyable, too; it appeals to the fuss-budget side of my psyche. I'm not sure how much more I'll do tonight. I can get into spells of nitzing around with stuff like that sort of endlessly, and the next thing I know I'm scarcely able to move from sitting so long, so I'm a bit reluctant to embark on more of the process. On the other hand, since final papers start coming in tomorrow--and since I'll be working on adjunct schedules on Thursday morning--it's not a bad idea for me to get as much fiddling done as possible before Rome begins to burn. Then again, back on the other side of the equation, the idea of being home early and spending an evening being semi-vegetative has appeal. I feel I ought to want to go to dance class, but in point of fact, I don't want to, so, well, I won't. So there. I'll toss this post up to the blog, go sit in my other chair, and ponder the mysteries of the universe until I figure out what my brain and body want most--at least of the options currently available (as a months-long vacation in the Caribbean or the Greek Islands is not on offer at the moment). Once I figure out what feels right, I'll do it. And tomorrow is that proverbial other day, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment