Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Thursday, December 13, 2012

Good decision? Bad decision?

I'm not going to take any work home with me this weekend. I may regret this come next week--and if I start to get jittery about it, I can always drop by over the weekend and pick stuff up (I'll be in the  neighborhood anyway). But at the moment, I think I can get everything done next week without undue strain--including looking at those dratted promo folders--and I'd prefer to spend this weekend finishing that editing project for my colleague and, well, I don't know what else. There's always something. (I've suddenly turned into Rosanne Roseannadanna).

I did write up that observation, finally, so that's off the triage list. I also spent a little time yesterday gathering together a bunch of stuff to send off to the copy center, so I don't have to strain the hell out of the department copiers (well, not as much anyway). It would be terrific if I could get my syllabi pulled together in time to send those to the copy center as well, but somehow, I don't think I'll count on that.

I got all the Short Story second versions graded and on the door to be picked up. One student e-mailed me to say she wouldn't be able to get hers today after all (growf), but if she doesn't get it before Monday, that's her too bad.

Both classes were nearly non-existent today, as I anticipated. A few students proofread their own papers; some exchanged papers with a classmate to proofread; more just pulled together all the pieces, handed them to me, took the self-evaluation assignment, and split. Piece o' cake. And I got some idea log flotsam marked as I waited for the late-comers to blow in the door. One student had completely forgotten her paper at home; she kept trying to find ways to turn it in late (tomorrow? Saturday? Sunday?) but I just kept shaking my head, "no, no, no." I said, "What's your day like today?" Well, she's finished with classes and is going home. And where is home? I can't remember what she said, but I simply lifted my eyebrows, and she realized that, if she wants to be responsible, she needs to go home, get her paper, and bring it back to me today. She asked how late I'd be around; I said "pretty late"--but in fact, that probably won't be the case. Still, I will leave a note for her to put the paper on the office door, that I will pick it up later. I just won't specify that "later" means either tomorrow or Monday.

I do want to get out of here as soon as I get a few things organized. I need to make an actual triage list, not just the one in my head, so I don't lose track of anything next week. For instance, I keep tending to forget that I have to fill in some information for an assessment of "information management," with my Short Story students as the guinea pigs; I need to do that as soon as I have the papers evaluated. I'm even going to put the routine paper-work on the list, just because it will make me feel good to get it crossed off. Mostly, I need to take a look at what is on (or near) my desk and know what's where. Then I can toddle off home and watch something dopey on DVD while I munch popcorn or something. I need to turn my brains off for a while so maybe I can actually get a good night's sleep. That's one think I'm looking forward to more than almost anything: mornings when I don't have to set an alarm. Between class days and two weekend appointments, there are six more alarm mornings before I have two weeks in which to loll about in bed as late as my little old heart desires. Yah. Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment