Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Monday, December 3, 2012

So...

...where did I leave off?

I didn't blog Thursday, and there were some blog-worthy events, particularly in the later of my 102s (of course). The should-have-been wonder student wasn't there, hadn't handed in the first version of his paper--has now effectively sunk himself entirely. Offer of an incomplete is hereby withdrawn. The other potential wonder student--even smarter, actually--also blew himself up (metaphorically speaking). He showed up late (again) on the day students were getting their first versions back to work on and sat there looking at the assignment sheet. I called him out in the hall and told him he couldn't pass (no essay 2 submitted, no version 1 of final paper submitted, lots of absences and lateness, and so on). I also told him he was driving me crazy--because he had the potential to be an A student, if he'd do the work. He tried to wiggle out of the situation because--wait for it--he's already on academic probation. I don't know how the withdrawal will affect that, but not positively, is my guess. I said he might not be allowed to come back to Nassau until he petitions for readmission--but before he does that, he needs to be sure he's ready to commit the time and energy to school. I trotted out my speech about "Sometimes the most important lessons we learn in college are life lessons..." and he agreed. (I gave the speech again today to another student from that class who also needs to withdraw.)

Of the students who are left, however, all were in the situation of struggling to come up with a clear, focused, debatable thesis. I circulated the room, helping as much as I could. The Poor Dear Thing got what Paul calls a "hit to the pleasure centers" because I read part of her first sentence aloud: perhaps the only thing she did right was to start of immediately talking about the novel instead of making big generalizations. She was thrilled to know she did anything right (note to self: remember to let students know!). The rest of her paper was a wreck (and I got an annoying e-mail from her this weekend asking me to tell her which chapters she should look in for evidence to prove her points... um, no), but at least she did that first sentence right.

Toward the end of class, another student pointed out that I had said we probably need to go over works cited pages in class. I saw that a classmate nearby had his head down on his desk, so I said, "Look at him: can I ask him to think about works cited pages now? Let's do it next class." But the young man raised his head and said, "No, no. This is me trying to take it in. I guess I really do need to pay attention to your comments on my papers." No shit, really? You think?

But I turned it into a joke. I was tired and consequently giddy enough that I was turning almost everything into a joke. And they were laughing. But they also were coming up with theses. Finally.

Then I went to observe one of our new adjuncts, and although there were some things about her class that were good, she clearly wasn't addressing the problems of remedial students. We had a long--Loooooong--talk after, in which I gave her ideas, pointed out the problems, explained what she should be focusing on. Of course, it's now so late in the term, I'm not sure what's going to happen with her poor students when it comes to the exit exam, but at least they have material for their portfolios. It was odd to realize that she honestly doesn't understand A) how to pull things out of the students' heads (instead of handing too much to them) and B) how to make almost any exercise interactive--which is what prevents boredom. In any event, I told her that the evaluation would be "needs improvement," but that I'm sure she will improve. She wanted me to come back to observe her again this semester, which I can't do (I don't think), but whenever we hire her again, I'll make sure someone observes her, so we can show that she has, in fact, improved. I know she wants to--and I think she can. But something about how I talked with her about it made her feel incredibly grateful, so much that she insisted on giving me a kiss on the cheek. (At least I hope that was gratitude.)

Today's main event of note, in the student department, was a long conversation I had with a student who wants to withdraw because he's getting a C. He's the one who hung his head and told me he was frustrated when he got my feedback on his first essay. He is, in fact, struggling to understand what he needs to do--but he is getting there, and I decided I'm not going to let him bail. I told him a C is not the end of the world, and I think there is a lot he can learn yet. He is learning; his work is improving. He just needs to gut out the next few weeks.

I started marking the first versions of the final papers for the Short Story class, but I hit the wall. I know this will bite me in the ass tomorrow and into Wednesday (I may be getting up at 5:00 all week), but I also know when I've hit the point of not diminishing but vanishing returns. I hit it like a dropped brick.

I need to spend some time starting the spring scheduling of adjuncts tomorrow, but I also have to get papers marked. Hmmmm. Maybe I need to miss P&B again? Or postpone the scheduling bit? I'll talk to Bruce in the morning and see what's possible. Right now, I'm painfully tired (not much sleep the last 4-5 nights, and a lot of stress over the weekend, not work related), so I'm going to sit here until I figure out what I want for dinner, then head off. And tomorrow is another day. Ain't that the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment