Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Thursday, April 18, 2013

TGIT

As I was packing up after class today, I suddenly thought, "Oh, wait, it isn't Tuesday; it's Thursday!" What a relief. But it's a clear indication of how addled I am that I was confused about it.

Class was rather a dud. There are really only five students left, plus the senior observer (who wasn't there today). Sad, really. But I did meet with one student from the class today to talk to her about her papers: she'd said she didn't know what I wanted, but as soon as I pointed out what she was doing, she got it--or at least gets it better. Don't summarize: prove something.

As a result of talking with her, I decided to give them all the way until the very last class to submit revisions. They'll still run out of time, of course, and not submit what they could, or should, but at least they can now turn their attention to their final papers (coming up right quick here)--and the fact that I still don't have all their second essays won't kill them in terms of their having time to get my comments and revise.

Further evidence of my addle-headed state is that I spent quite some time the other night reworking the final essay assignment--at home. It's still on that computer; I never sent it to myself, or put it on my flash drive, or posted it to the faculty home page. And the students needed it today. So I had to give them an older crappy version. Well, I hope I at least got the right due dates--and the topics are there, so they should be able to start thinking about it. I did a quick little overview of how to access the library databases to do their critical research; a few of them knew, but I think it was still valuable. I hope so, anyway.

I'm taking what looks like a shit-load of work home, but it really isn't that much when it comes to substance. Lots of logs and glossaries from the 102s, but I don't have to comment much--and some I don't even have to read, as it is apparent at a glance what the grade should be. I'd love to get it all done tomorrow, but I have stuff to do smack in the middle of the day, so I know I won't. Ah well.

But now, I want to get home to my cats. Until everything has normalized again in the wake of the spaying operation--about 10 days or so--I'm going to feel anxious and rattled. I'll feel better being at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment