Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Well, I'm ready for tomorrow, I think...

I told myself this morning that I'd be sure to read at least a few of the short stories from the Fiction Writing students before I called it a day today, but although I got all the assignments for my 101s marked while I was in Advisement, between starting things rolling for at least a few of the 10,000 assessment projects I'm supposed to be shepherding, the "seminar hours" committee meeting, and getting everything set for tomorrow, I find I've run out of steam. I will have a little time before my committee meeting tomorrow to read; other than that, I'll have to hope I can finish up on Monday, as I simply refuse to take anything home with me this weekend: it's too early in the semester.

It would also help if I could get a decent night's sleep: the perennial problem for me. When I start doing the plate-spinning thing with committee work, trying to keep the crockery from smashing to the floor turns me into a chipmunk on speed, and getting myself calmed down enough to sleep is a herculean task.

Right at the moment, assessment is what has me wired for sound. I'm trying to enlist help left, right and center, but I also know that I'll probably have to give each of the various tasks a good healthy shove to get things moving, so I've been sending out e-mails to various sub-committees, trying to at least get the key in the ignition. In fact, as I've been trying to write this post, I keep interrupting myself to send another e-mail (trying to do things before the "oh shit" moment)--and just now to record some of the specific work I've done in my promo folder (oh, yeah, that little thing).

Um, let me think: did I have a class today? The memory has been drowned out by all the committee stuff, plus some work getting ready for the panel for that conference in November (it's never too early), plus I don't know what the hell all else. Class was fine. A bit like pulling teeth--only one student was really "into" talking about the reading for today--but not terrible. Whatever. We workshop next week: they'll like that part.

Oh, god, I'm just too distracted by all the little niggly bits I have to nail down to say anything much. But here's the first student blooper of the semester, summarizing what the handbook suggests students should ask themselves as they approach a paper:

"Do you get the jest of the assignment?"

Wokka-wokka, very funny, that assignment.

I'm outta here.

No comments:

Post a Comment