Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Monday, November 24, 2014

Monday is a Thursday, so... where is everyone?

In my first 101 class today, five students were in attendance. They did pretty well, given the lack of energy that's given off just by having more bodies in the room, but it was a bit of a grind. Still, I didn't have high ambitions for the day, nor do I have much in the way of expectation for tomorrow, so I'm less discouraged than I might otherwise be.

The second section was, not surprisingly, better attended: only one student was absent, and she'd sent me an e-mail saying that she would be. (She seems to have the cold I'm still getting over, poor thing.) Still, not a lot of scintillating conversation, but having low expectations truly is helpful.

I did get most of their papers graded--except for the students who didn't submit their papers to Turnitin.com, or who didn't submit the first version with the final version. Somehow, they can't seem to understand that I can't evaluate revision unless I see both versions--and that everything needs to be uploaded to Turnitin. One wouldn't think it was all that complex, but apparently it's more than their pea brains can handle.

And--quelle surprise!--which section was missing the uploads and first versions? Yep, the first section. In the second section, some students did upload after the deadline--but still, they all managed to submit everything as required. It's the perpetual mystery of class chemistry and random luck (or lack thereof) of the draw.

After class, I met with my conversation partner (I use the term "conversation" very loosely, you understand) and I cleaned up some "absolutely must be done soon" work: finalizing the preference forms for fall 2015 faculty schedules so those are ready to distribute, evaluating a few adjunct applications and setting up potential appointment times. The office staff are now responsible for actually distributing the preference forms, and Bruce's assistant is responsible for setting up the actual appointments within the times I gave as when I'm available. I wrote an e-mail asking for a document I need for my promotion folder. I wrote an e-mail thanking someone for a document I need for my promotion folder. I wrote an e-mail to the Assistant Chair (not to be confused with my position as Assistant to the Chair for Evening Supervision): in the spring, he'll add my role to his, but I need to introduce him to the adjunct scheduling process, as he'll be doing that for summer (and aren't I glad I won't be).

Tomorrow, I need to meet--at long last--with the colleague I observed some time back, then mark as much student stuff as I can before the classes meet, and generally get things nailed down before the long holiday weekend. For which I can hardly wait.

But now, I'm getting out of here later than I had promised myself, so on this rather whirlwind note, I'll close out this post and return to the fray tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment