Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Thursday, April 23, 2015

Best excuse ever to stop working

I had just hit the moment in working on the glossary when I needed to shift gears, and had just started looking for photos of polar landscapes, when the phone rang. It was William. "You're the only person I'm calling," he said. "Yes or no?" he asked. I had no clue what he was talking about.

We got e-mails of the letter from the campus president congratulating us on our promotions to full professor.

Of course, the BOT still has to sign off on the "recommendation," but it's really a rubber stamp: if they didn't approve the promotions, I imagine the entire Academic Senate and the Union would be manning the barricades. So I won't truly, fully believe it until I get the letter from the Board--and even then, it won't really sink in (maybe not until I start getting paychecks that reflect the new rank). I also realize I have a hard time just letting loose and being happy to celebrate something good that's happened. And this is wonderful. It's wonderful not to still be hanging fire about it, not to have to worry about it--and beyond wonderful to know that I never, ever, ever have to buck for a promotion again. That's bliss, right there.

The work wen't pretty well today, too. If I hadn't been "interrupted" when I was, I'm not sure how much more I'd have accomplished anyway. When I start noodling around doing photo research, I can get sucked into the process and completely lose track of time, but I was definitely losing my edge.

I spent some time today getting myself registered for the ASLE conference in June, too. That was time away from work on the sabbatical project, but it sure feels good to have at least a good chunk of the planning nailed down.

I'm sure there are other things I wanted to report today, but my mind is trying to go too many places all at once, so I'm going to give it a rest and do nothing that requires any form of intelligence until tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment