Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Friday, April 3, 2015

running on fumes

The last two days I've been way more physically active than usually on much less sleep than usual, and today, it's hitting me pretty hard. I wanted to get at least a little work done--and I wanted to get at least a little work done on the less-fun parts of the project in particular. I've spent about two hours on the socio-historical context--and I'm afraid that's all I have in me for today.

The main realization of the day (other than the fact that I need a little recovery time) is that I have to be on guard against my "information junkie" tendencies. This is a problem in my assignment sheets, too: I tend to want to give my students every little teeny bit of information--and it doesn't work. All I'm doing is taking their attention down a whole bunch of little rabbit trails in the underbrush, and they lose the main idea. My mind works that way: I can wander off the path repeatedly and for extended periods of time and always find the path again. But it doesn't work in a learning situation. (Or, perhaps I should say, a teaching situation.) I need to make sure the main path is clear; the students who are ready can find their own little rabbit trails.

So in the socio-historical context, I think I can use a much broader brush. All the students really need is an overall sense of the general shape of things, not all the fine details. That should make the work easier for me--and in some ways it does--but it's a little like figuring out reading assignments for a semester: my problem is always figuring out what to leave out, as I always have more possible material than students can possibly handle. That's the problem I'm running into with this socio-historical thing: the problem isn't deciding what to include; it's deciding what not to include.

Right now, however, I can't decide much of anything, so I need to put the whole thing down until my body has had a chance to recharge (brain doesn't function well if body isn't functioning well: our brains are part of our bodies, doncha know). So, tomorrow. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment