Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Wednesday, October 14, 2015

P.S.: Talking to a fucking wall

Today I sent out a parcel of e-mails to students in the M&D class about the fact that they hadn't uploaded their essays to Turnitin.com. I have repeatedly said--and have written in the syllabus and on the assignment sheets--that the submission has to go through our class Blackboard page, not directly through Turnitin, but two students said variations on "I went to Turnitin but I can't get it to work." That's because you can't do it directly through Turnitin, goddammit: you have to go through Blackboard.

But, looking for the positive side: at least they read their e-mails and contacted me. That's actually progress, especially for one of them, who has been sullen and uncommunicative (he's the one who was complaining about always getting the same marks on his assignments--and who, by the way, still has not changed the content of his assignments, though he said he had a better understanding of what I want).

I shouldn't be doing this just before bed, but before I left work today, in my personal e-mail was a message from a former student, asking for some advice about her personal life. I didn't have a chance to respond to that when I was in the office, but I didn't want her message to languish in my in-box, so I went online to answer it and, well, one thing led to another. I wish it wouldn't. I wish one thing would just be one thing and not lead anywhere at all sometimes.

Six a.m. alarm tomorrow, so I can be sure to be on campus and at least marginally awake to conduct another observation at 10, And if I post to the blog at all tomorrow, it will have to be between classes and thus leave out anything that happens in M&D, as once that class is over, I plan to get stuck in rush-hour traffic on my way to Queens to see Hamlet.

Oh, and speaking of being a very, very bad girl because I keep doing things for fun: I'd not yet set up an opportunity to do one of the tasks I'd said I'd do for Seminar Hours, so I sent an e-mail to the two colleagues involved suggesting we pick a Thursday. One of them proposed a Thursday, the other said it would work for him--and it's next Thursday, when I'll be driving up to the Finger Lakes for my extended birthday weekend celebration.

Bad bad bad me. There's just no getting around it: I'm a bad girl. They're going to revoke my full professorship and put me in a corner with a sign around my neck that says "irresponsible: has fun instead of doing work."

Or, for tonight, "Goes to bed instead of blogging any more."

No comments:

Post a Comment