Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Love those 101s

Both my 101 classes are turning out to be great. The later section is a little slower to take off every day, and they're noticeably less lively, but they are still quite lovely. The earlier section is terrific. I spent some time today going through the posted self-evaluations--and the comments they left each other were kind and sweet and friendly. They're starting to use each other's names in class discussion: "As Drew said..." or "I'm sorry, I don't know your name...? [Jenny] As Jenny said..." They asked about a million very smart questions about the first essay, too. (I had to do more of the driving in the later section.) Between what I had to say to them about their annotations and notes and their questions about the forthcoming essay assignment, most of the period had been consumed before we turned our attention to the articles they read for today. I didn't have time in either class to split them into groups; I just opened things up to the class as a whole--and as was the case yesterday with the SF class, I was happy to note that even some of the more retiring students spoke up, especially in the earlier class.

The time in Advisement was pretty easy; I did spend most of the time on my own work, but the students I saw I sent away happy. One thought she had graduated, but there had been a SNAFU with her records, as she was following an antique major. We got that sorted out. Then as I was going through the degree evaluation for another student, I noticed that a few of her classes hadn't transferred, and I couldn't figure out why. Turns out, only one of the credits wouldn't apply, but the others she got, which made it that much easier for her to get her degree next summer. Score one for Prof. P.

I realize that I didn't mention an important student encounter yesterday, and it will be significant for most of the semester, I think. The young woman in the SF class who had been a disaster when she was my student several years ago came in to me for mentoring. We set up an appointment for every week at the same time: she just needs to know that someone is keeping an eye on her. She reports that she's been through a very difficult psychological battle since I saw her last, including (she says) being the victim of a sexual assault and trying to commit suicide. I am choosing to believe her. When she was last my student, I believed and was empathetic for a while until I started to think that it was all a manipulative act, a pity play by a consummate drama queen. That may be the case, and we may be starting on that trajectory again. But I'm going to call it as I see it and let the chips fall where they may. I told her I'd deal straight with her, and I wouldn't avoid being utterly real. She was a little shaky about that but appreciative. And she did write a gracious email, thanking me for my time. We'll see. If she does pull off a turn-around, that would be a fine thing indeed.

Campus is closed tomorrow for Rosh Hashanah, and I have some personal stuff going on every day through Sunday (some of the usual stuff, a few doctors' appointments, and a "Breath, Body, Mind" workshop on Saturday and Sunday). But I also have enormous stacks of marking that I have to do, on top of all the discussion boards I haven't evaluated yet. So, it's going to be one hell of a packed weekend--but I suppose that will keep me out of trouble.

In any event, I want to fly out of here. My wheelie pack is ready for Monday (except whatever homework I'm taking home); the plants are watered, photocopies are sorted, a new triage list has been made... I think that nails it. I may or may not post between now and Monday. (I like to keep you guessing.) And for those of you who are still tuning in: thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment