Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Sunday, January 28, 2018

Scrambled...

I've spent a good chunk of today reading and responding to discussion board posts for the online Nature in Lit. Interesting range of students, from the barely able to think to off the charts wow. I'm hoping like hell no one is plagiarizing, because that would be deeply discouraging--but so far, little random checks haven't turned anything up; it seems like the excellent thinking is genuine, not stolen.

Of course, I still have to try to drag students away from the comfortable pabulum of "this shows his/her appreciation for Mother Nature"--which actually says nothing of substance. (Neither does the remark that "this was a good read" or "the descriptions really let the reader picture things in his/her head.") But in this instance, I won't be alone in modeling a deeper, more interesting response to the readings, as several of the students are doing that on their own.

One young woman particularly stands out to me right now. She's very diligent, right on top of all the assignments--and although she's not spectacular in her ideas yet, she's absolutely doing exactly what I'd hope for: she's contributing substance to a discussion. I may have to let her know that sometimes other students get it wrong; she should be a little less willing to be swayed by what someone else sees in the readings. But still, she's taking in and mulling over what the other students say--and responding with intelligence. Good stuff.

Interestingly enough, however, I've had a hard time holding on to the fact that today is Sunday. I'm not sure why, but it seems to have something to do with getting my head deeply into the work. I'm also having a hard time keeping track of the time: I just realized how late it is--and that both the cat and I need to be fed. So this will be a truncated post. I may not have time for much tomorrow, either, but we'll see when we get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment