Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Thursday, February 15, 2018

High praise indeed

Let me reiterate how much I enjoy the SF class. I was scattered and addled today (having raced to class after an unexpected doctor's appointment--and all is well, thank you for the concern), but the students still picked up the class and rolled with it. I was finishing up marking homework I wanted to return today (so they'd have it to use when they work on their essays over the break), doing other paperwork kinds of stuff, had distributed a few more handouts, circulated among the groups--and when the whole class discussion began, after a few questions/comments winged around the room, one of the best and brightest noticed my custom-made red-and-black cowboy boots and his comment was, "Those are awesome boots. That's really bad-ass."

I'm not kidding: that's high praise, for a grey-haired Caucasian English professor to be called "bad-ass"--even if it's just because of the boots.

I'm about to race out of here (heading to yoga class), and I don't know how much posting I'll do over the break, but probably some. I will be very interested to see the general tenor among the 101 students when class resumes. I talked to most of the ones who made appointments--and a couple I thought I wouldn't see dutifully showed up. The young woman who had the panic attack missed her appointment yesterday and contacted me today to ask if she could reschedule--but by that time, I was heading off to go to the doctor. Being at the doctor's office took forever, which normally wouldn't be a surprise, but this particular practice usually runs a pretty tight ship. In any event, I'd had the foresight to warn the SF students I might be late, and I told the poor, panicking 101 student I might be able to see her if I got back in time ... but I didn't. I've suggested that she try to see me during my office hour on Monday; we'll see if she does. I don't want to lose her, or not yet anyway. I'd love to help build her confidence a bit (though she does still have to perform).

Anyway, the 101 students are as ready as I can get them for the next step. The SF students are as ready as I can get them for their first essay. The Nature in Lit students are decidedly getting the fuzzy end of the lollipop, a neglect I intend to rectify tomorrow and into next week.

And at that, I'd better boogie.

No comments:

Post a Comment