Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Tempted to noodle ...

I am tempted to noodle around, doing house-keeping sort of stuff, but I am exhausted. Even though this is a night when I'd usually stay until 7, I'm going to take off in about ten minutes. I don't even have a lot to say. Those students who come out of BEP are just really difficult to deal with, because their frame of reference is so removed from what I'm trying to get them to understand. I asked one student today what his strongest point was, and he told me he was good at using quotations. No, I said: I mean, what point are you making in your argument that you feel is a very good point.

He honestly couldn't answer the question. Essentially, he didn't understand the question.

Sigh.

I did spend a lot of time in the past few days telling students that they have to just try and make the mistakes--and then work to fix the mistakes, not start all over to make the same mistakes again.

I almost want to take my fiddle in to class and show them how I practice: hit a glitch, work though it, slowly, repeatedly, until it unglitches, then run through again to the next glitch. Oh, I got the right notes but my bow position was off. Oh, the bow position was right, and I kinda got the right notes, but....

and on it goes.

I've also been finding it very difficult to focus on marking the homework for the SF class--not because the homework is particularly difficult in itself to deal with, in fact the contrary. I keep seeing responses and I want to have more scholarly knowledge to bring to the discussion. I spent a good whack of my time in Advisement today doing research on the school databases--and found a bunch of interesting articles, two of which I've printed. (Every now and then, I get a tiny bit of Paul's "I want to do some scholarship" bug--but I never felt that confident of my abilities as a scholar, so I don't yearn for it as he does.)

What ever.

There will be that other day that will show up in about six hours--and I hope to be sound asleep when it does flip over to the 15th. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment