Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Monday, March 19, 2018

Apres le salon...

Paul was teasing that I needed to have a supply of absinthe for my evening salon with my students. I really am having a blast with this--and in fact, they've now started showing up early and hanging out talking with each other until I'm here and ready. More rambling conversation about books, movies, TV shows, literary merit, personal taste in literature....

I'd love to get a few more students involved, but it's also fun just to chat, the three of us. (And it's making for good stats for my fulfillment of my seminar hours, which is all to the good.)

I did not, however, get any essays marked. One almost, but not completely. Dammit. I'd planned to allow myself to sleep in tomorrow, but I'd better not; I realized today with a dull thud that the next essay for the Nature in Lit class is scheduled for right after the break--which won't work if they haven't gotten feedback on Essay 1. Yikes and likewise zoiks.

I'd like to get the SF essays back to them, too, by Thursday (not a chance for tomorrow, not with the Nature in Lit essays still to mark). Note to self: say less. I keep forgetting that I'm grading lit essays, which do not have to be revised, and I'm commenting as if they're 101 essays, which do.

Knock it off, Prof. P.

Class today was pretty dull--as is getting to be the typical situation. The students didn't have a lot to say about the readings, which were, I confess, a bit thin in any event. But, improvising, I had them do a little brain-storming about possible essay topics--and I'm glad I did, as a few of them were trying to take on too much. By talking with them about their topics now, I was able to forestall some potential problems. Wednesday should be easy: they're bringing in their own articles, so I doubt we'll be there the whole class period--though I may have them start writing their essays right there in class, more to use the time than anything.

Or not. I may just let them go early and come back to the office to grind through whatever work has floated to the top of the triage list. (And that's another thing about tomorrow: I need to get the homework marked for the 101 students so they can get it back before the break.)

I'm going to end up with almost no one in that class. Ah well. The joys of the SF class make up for the plodding tedium of the 101.

And with that brief summation of the day, I am out of here, doing a little self-care for the evening, and recognizing that tomorrow will soon be today, and today will be yesterday. Which reminds me of Moondog. (You youngsters don't remember Moondog.) https://youtu.be/KH5PNRI0A8o

No comments:

Post a Comment