Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Saturday, March 17, 2018

Slightly better

I managed to get last week's discussion board posts graded for the online class--and I realized I'm not as horrifically far behind as I thought. I do have essays to grade, but not many, which, as always, causes mixed feelings in this professor. I feel very discouraged when a number of students don't submit a major assignment--such as an essay worth 400 (out of 2000) points--because I feel I'm not reaching them as well as I'd like. On the other hand, fewer to grade, right?

I've also uncovered yet more plagiarism. One student plagiarized his discussion board posts--and earlier in the semester I contacted him because it seemed his answers to one of the quizzes were plagiarized. He explained that away, and I accepted his explanation--but now I see I probably shouldn't have. It's bad enough when they plagiarize, but when they act all offended about it--how could anyone accuse them of such a thing??--or try to deny having done it, I get seriously ticked off. This young man is going to have to do one hell of a job persuading me not to fail him for the semester.

And a different student plagiarized her essay.

Ah, fuck. Ah well.

Also, somehow, the fact that they're submitting online seems to mean to them that they don't have to follow any kind of formatting for their essays. Well, they'll get the point deductions. They can erase those point penalties only if they actually revise: they can't just submit the same essay formatted correctly. If they're going to get a better grade, they have to work their butts off for it.

Meanwhile, one of the best students has suddenly gone AWOL. He contacted me to say he'd been ill and then missed the deadline for the essay; I encouraged him to submit anyway, and to submit his discussion board posts even if they were late--but nothing. I really hope I haven't lost him; he was great.

I was looking at overall grades, too, and I sort of hate the fact that one student has more points than anyone else--but her thinking is not that splendid. She's working hard and doing extra credit--but I'm probably being overly generous in the marks I'm giving her on her discussion board posts. She's doing well enough for a sophomore, but when I compare her work to the two men (clearly more grown up and further along in their educational process), she's not in their league--and yet she has way more points. I guess I can let her know that I've been pretty generous with grades on discussion board posts and that I'm going to get tougher--or I can just let it go, knowing she's doing well enough for this level. I used to be stingier with A's.

In any event, I'll start grading essays tomorrow. I'm not much looking forward to it--and part of me thinks maybe I should print them and grade by hand (as I don't get quite so carried away with comments when they're somewhat harder to write)--but we'll see how I feel about it tomorrow.

Which is, as you may not be aware, another day. Today, I am about to segue into my non-professorial mode. Not sure what I'll do with the evening, but no more work for the time being, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment