Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Saturday, August 18, 2018

I have no idea...

I spent some time today--despite a serious case "I don't really want to" combined with "My brain doesn't work"--fixing the glitch in the appearance of the online Nature in Lit, which was gratifying, and contemplating (again) changing one of the readings, if I can find something I want to change it to, which is proving elusive. Which is, of course, why I keep going back to, "Oh, to hell with it. The thing I picked last semester is fine."

I also checked about one of my book orders (or sent a message about it, anyway), and bounced a question to the Library staff (because of the change of book vendors on campus. they aren't sure they'll have all our books on reserve when the semester starts--but since I'm using books I've used before, I hoped those might be available anyway, and they might be, but I need to check). And I did a little noodling around with syllabi, mostly the class policies for the 101 (or 101s, as the case may be), which I cloned to the Native American Lit (operating still in hope that the bastard will run, despite the stubborn lack of upward movement in enrollment).

And I feel like I should have accomplished more but, well, given my affliction with the above referenced mental ailments, I think instead I'll be happy enough to have done something.

I begin to wonder, however, if my last semester as a full-time professor will end up being a bit of a chaotic mess, simply because I can't be arsed, as the Brits would say, to button up the way I "should." On the other hand, I may suddenly realize that a lot of the fuss and feathers I've experienced since I started this career really wasn't necessary or productive. Well, I already sort of know that, but maybe this time I'll realize how much I can let go of. We can almost always let go of more than we think we can.

Two things happened today to make even this modicum of progress possible. One, I read an article in Time that I thought would be better for the final essay in 101, so I printed it out and changed the assignment schedule. Two, I got a nap before I got to work, and that made a lot of difference. Who'd a thunk it: sleep helps.

Now, however, I'm truly stick-a-fork-in-me done. Normally today would have been a day of me being a student, but I had already canceled my fiddle lesson and I opted to bail on everything else. I think it was a good decision to stay home and quiet, but I find I have to keep reminding myself what day of the week it is (and fending off occasional stabs of anxiety about the date).

Who knows when I'll next post, but things are gearing up now, so probably relatively soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment