Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Sunday, April 5, 2020

No can do

I swore to myself that I'd get the rest of the damned essays graded and back to students today, come hell or high water. Neither hell nor high water have made an appearance, but I just reached a point of total brain fry: I can't tell anymore whether the problems are the students' or whether I'm just not processing ideas. And even if I assume the problems are the students' (which is likely the case), I am afraid my comments wouldn't make any sense, so it's time to call a halt, dig into a foxhole for the night, and try to reach the summit again tomorrow.

And I only had two more to go. One will be pretty good; one won't be. Tomorrow, I should probably take the more problematic one first, save the decent one for when I'm starting to flag a bit anyway. (It doesn't seem to take much.)

How in the name of all that is holy was I able to grade the masses of essays I used to face on a regular basis? I simply can't fathom.

In any event, I am sure they don't care, but I just sent an announcement apologizing for the delay and promising the essays for tomorrow. I also told them I'll be available over spring break, if they need me.

But now, I need to email a student who has yet to submit any essay at all--neither version of essay one, and now not the first version of essay two. I've been telling him for weeks that he needs to withdraw, and now I have to let him know that his very last chance for making it has sailed and is already gone over the horizon. I'm not looking forward to the meeting with Working Dad on Tuesday, either.

Oh, hell: I'd forgotten I have a meeting with another student tomorrow; that will cramp my grading time a trifle. Maybe I have to (horrors) set an alarm clock so I'm up and at 'em earlier than has been the case for some while.

Well, whatever. Sufficient unto the day and all that. I'm toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment