Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Thursday, April 9, 2020

Social technology

Of course, I had no idea when I created the topic for the final essay that this year it would have more powerful resonance than ever before, since all my students--and to a certain extent their professor--are all in the position of having to rely on social technology for contact beyond our immediate families, and we're starting to feel on a visceral level the value of being in the same physical space with other human beings.

But I'm always interested to note that many of my students are in full agreement that their attachment to their smart phones is problematic. There are always a few who make a powerful (and at least partly defensive) argument in favor of the connectivity we gain from our devices: contact with people around the world, communities who are like-minded, creative connections. They're less aware of the "echo chamber" effect, which is highly problematic in our society--and that's not generational: that's for everyone.

I'm also interested to note how much I want to actually talk with them about all this, not just exchange monologues in text. I love that they're having to get their ideas into written words--that's an enormous boon in a composition class--but when it comes to debating the topics, we need the give-and-take of real-time interaction.

Because it's a fully online class, I can't mandate meetings at any specific time. I am, however--and shifting gears--going to mandate online essay conferences, if I teach the class again. That personal discussion, even just for 20 minutes, does more to guide them than anything I can put in writing.

Today, I realized I was a week off in my own head and I had to issue a quick disclaimer to the students: their essays are due this coming Monday, the 13th, not the 20th as I'd said in my emails to them. But I decided to extend the deadline to the 15th--partly because I screwed up and partly because I'd like them to have the extra time. I could push it even later, but I don't want them to rush their final essays.

But having that realization also made me realize I was falling further behind with reading/responding/grading homework than I was aware. And as I've been reading their discussion board posts from last week, I realize I don't want to post a response in writing. I'm going to make a video for them, talking about the points I see in their posts. I'm not quite sure where I'll post it yet, but I think in the same folder where their essay submissions go will be a good place.

Now, however, my mind has gone on the fritz. It is a spectacularly gorgeous day, and I need to get out in it. I would much prefer to garden or do something useful, rather than taking the usual walk, but being out is being out--and we're going to have another cold spell in a few days, so enjoying this while it lasts is paramount.

No comments:

Post a Comment