Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Friday, March 19, 2010

Week in review

There were eight students in 101 yesterday, and I had to send three of them away because they hadn't done the reading. (Reading on which their midterm and next paper will be based--which they know.) I told the remaining five that they may be it by the end. There is one other young woman who may return: she's smart but her attendance and work have been sporadic. The six of us who were there actually had a pretty cool time: the contrasting arguments put forth by John Muir and Marsden Manson regarding the building of Hetch Hetchy turned into a conversation about whether practicality trumps beauty--or whether "practicality" is often in fact just doing what is cheapest and easiest.... If the class ends up that tiny, it will be more like a senior seminar--and the five (or six) remaining students will get pretty fabulous value for their time and money.

The 102 was fine: they didn't set the world on fire with their analysis of the poems, but they got it well enough. I won't know if they get how to use the critical material until I see their papers. Of course, like everything, some will get it, some won't.

Today, before my ride, I did manage to get through a few assignments for 265--all pretty lousy, but done. Tomorrow after placement reading I'll go to the office and see what more I can crank through. I'm having dinner with Kristin tomorrow evening (seems like we haven't seen each other in decades), and if I can, I'd like to try to grade a little more even on the train on the way in. (I know I'll be too pooped to do any more on the way home, but any little bit helps). Then I'll have to see where I am on Sunday, and whether I can afford the time to go to dance class. I will be miserable if I have to miss it--but I might have to miss it. We'll see.

In any event, once again, blog entries may be few and far between for a while. Once this huge push through piled up assignments is finished, it will be (desperately needed) spring break, and I know I won't do any work to speak of over that break--and probably won't blog much, if at all, in that time either. Just so you don't worry I've fallen down a hole somewhere if the posts become far less regular.

No comments:

Post a Comment