Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Thursday, September 15, 2011

Brief recap

Overall, a good week. Had a student come to my office hour again today, wanting to be sure he was doing his reading journal correctly (nice). Class went fine (whew). I'm interested in a phenomenon I noticed today, which I've observed before: when I ask students to read over a complicated assignment on their own and then come in with questions, they don't. I'm not sure if they don't read the assignment (possible) or if they just don't think they have any questions--until one brave soul asks something, and then suddenly, the floodgates open. We ended up using most of the period going over how to approach the assignment (which is still abstract, so, well, see yesterday's post), and then we went over a handout about theses and introductions.

I asked each group to explain a portion of the handout: it was interesting what was revealed about their understanding or, in some cases, lack thereof. I was a little worried about going over all that now, when I know they won't be writing for another week (most of them)--but I think at least a few heard my final piece of advice: "panic earlier." One student--the one who got the questions rolling by admitting she was completely confused--still feels completely confused, but she's planning on going to the Writing Center and on seeing me, so I hope between the two she gets an idea of what's required. A few others said they, too, were planning on adjusting the point at which they panic to an earlier date. I hope so.

The poor Monday-Wednesday class is really going to be crunched for time to go over all this and still adequately cover the stories they're reading for next week, but we'll do what we can.

I really wish I weren't going to Montana: I love seeing my family, and the conference will be interesting, but the stress of getting everything nailed down before I go is building exponentially as the trip approaches. And that now includes the fact that two people I'm mentoring (wearing my P&B hat), one going up for promotion, one for sabbatical, have asked for meetings with me before I leave....

But now, the temperature outside has plunged, the rain is starting, I have errands to run and have to take one of the cats to the vet, so my personal life takes precedence for at least a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment