Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Thursday, October 13, 2011

End-of-week review

I'm behind the curve today: the dental appointment I had this morning went on a lot longer than I anticipated, so I didn't get to think about or look at any papers, or sabbatical applications, or anything beyond making sure I have observers set up for all the adjuncts who need observations. I'm grateful that I only have to do one; a colleague came through at the Nth hour, agreeing to take on two of them, including the early a.m. class. Whew.

I met with two students today--one of them was Mr. Dedicated. I snapped at him a little, when once again I pointed out vague/unclear use of terms and he resisted, saying "it's common sense" and "I don't know what you want of me." He said I think of him as some English major and he's not. I assured him I do not think of him that way: I know I'm asking a lot, but it's a kind of thinking he must learn to do. I calmed down pretty quickly, and I hope managed to explain to him how he needs to look at my critiques. He wants an A and is very locked into the grade as the evidence of success. I also tried to reframe that for him, getting him to realize that the real success or failure will come from how much he learns, how much progress he makes. The grade may not be as high as he hopes--I certainly can't guarantee an A, given my strict standards--but he is already learning a lot. I know he can't feel it now: all he feels is the pain and frustration of the process. But he is making progress. His dedication to the hard work, the fight in him, is truly admirable.

I also met with another student from that class who told me that he realizes he's being challenged to do something new and different: that what has worked for him in the past isn't going to work any more, so he's struggling to learn this new way of thinking and writing. I felt a surge of relief: yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

These are both students from the short story class, and I realize I should have given that class the "college will change you" speech, too. Something to consider for next semester.

Today's 102 was, of course, a blast. They were asking smart questions about the paper already, and then were so engrossed in the discussion of the poems that the class was over before they expected. I love when they are startled that we're out of time: that's a great sign. And they are doing a great job getting from the details of the poems to an interpretation. I'm delighted.

But now I have to hustle out of here--again, flinging this post up on the web largely unrevised and unproofed. Tonight I have a phone appointment with one of the executive officers of ASLE (the Association for the Study of Literature and the Environment) so we can discuss my duties as the Professional Liaison Coordinator. A lot is popping right now in terms of that position, so add that to the pearls bouncing around my feet, threatening to vanish through the cracks....

Off I go. It's going to be a hell of a weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment