Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Fire Drill!

Kayla and I were talking after class, our usual decompress session, and the fire alarm went off. It was a drill, and I'm pretty sure the occupants of the building flunked (taking too long to get out, staying too close to the building). It occurs to me this probably means I got a ticket for parking illegally out back, but oh well. It was actually rather pleasant to breathe real air for a few minutes, and now I'm getting ready to wrap up the day.

Class was awful. Pulling teeth would be a frolic by comparison. A lot of students were absent, and those who were there were mostly too insecure to even ask questions about the poetry. Still, I poked them through the three poems for this week, and we even got a moment to talk about the poem we'd left unfinished last week. I didn't go over their responses to the critical essays--but I did refer to the critical essays a few times in our discussion of the poems, so I hope that accomplished somewhat the same thing.

And I didn't issue any reminders about the papers that are due (first versions) on Monday. On the other hand, I gave them a chance to ask questions about the assignment, but they didn't ask, so ... moving on.

I managed to get all the work they submitted on Monday marked and back to them, which feels good. It's going to be a relatively easy few days in terms of marking assignments. I'll have the first big essays for both the literature classes--but there are so few students, even taking the two together, that I'm not terribly worried about the work load. And I'll have the study question responses I collected from 102 today--but that will be it. There is a lot of other stuff I need to tend to over the next few weeks (mostly for assessment, but other miscellaneous bits as well)--but I'm not going to worry about any of that until my health improves. I feel like La Dame aux Camellias, what with this tubercular sounding cough, but "Courage, Camille." Eventually I'll feel better, and that will be cause for celebration in itself.

There's more organizing and so on that I could ("should") do tonight, but I ain't gonna. I'm going to pick up my new glasses (replacing the pair I lost on my trip to Tucson) and go home. This has been enough for a first day back.

No comments:

Post a Comment