Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Wall--again

Well, I thought the thing with the adjunct was over and done with, but noooo. I won't talk about it much here, but suffice it to say that we're heading into potential legal territory. I don't think there's any concern just yet, but it's decidedly uncomfortable, and escalating. Very heavy sigh, with a small dollop of anxiety. But Bruce will be the fearless leader in this, as in most things departmental.

Still, as a consequence, I spent time originally slated for grading papers working instead on a response to some e-mails. By the time I got back to paper grading, I was already heading toward the wall, and I hit it after grading just a few. So I have more left for tomorrow than I'd ideally like--and I want to get journal-logs and glossaries marked and back as well--but I know I'll get it done one way or another. (Probably the other.)

Today's class was great. I read a Carter Revard poem, "An Eagle Nation," in my best Okie-Arkie accent--and the students loved it (the poem and the reading). Great discussion: these young women are the best, the absolute bee's knees--even the whiner, when she's not whining. Granted, she was obviously unprepared for class today, but she just was quietly taking notes, and her one contribution was good. But she also came to me after, inquiring about a meeting as if it were something I wanted. No, I told her; if you want it, set it up--and know what it is you want to talk about. If you don't want it, or don't have any idea what you want to discuss, then don't do it. Subtext: do you want the help or don't you? If you do, come get it. If not, fine by me--but then don't whine about your grades. It drives me crazy--and it isn't just this young woman. There is a prevailing attitude that everything that goes on in class is intended to gratify some weird fetish that professors have, instead of there actually being something going on that the student needs to be involved in and responsible for. If this young woman does meet with me, and if the opportunity presents itself, I may point this out to her. But note the qualifiers. I don't feel it's my job to point out that she's the one who needs to take charge of her education--unless she indicates she's ready to listen to that idea. So far, she hasn't.

And the senior observer again drove me somewhat bats. She's sweet, but she doesn't know when to quit. I'm glad she's jazzed about the material, but if she tells me one more time how much she's enjoying everything in the textbook, I may fling it (or her) out the window. Once was gratifying; twice reinforced the point. Every single class is frankly annoying. I also got annoyed when I was trying to make a point about the reason we say "goodbye." I said, "We don't say 'goodbye' to an empty house," and she leaped in with, "Sure we do! I say 'goodbye, Pet Rock!'" OK, but then the house is not empty (as pointed out by the Shining Star)--and you're not addressing the house. You're treating the pet rock as if it is something living that you care about. (And I'll admit: when I move out of a place where I've lived for some time, I do say goodbye, but that's different: I'm really saying goodbye to the segment of my life I experienced in that place, not to the place itself.) And she wouldn't let go of it. I kept trying to get on the track that was needed to gain an understanding of something in the poem, and she kept insisting on her direction--and more to the point, taking the conversation away from the actual students. Let me talk to them, get their thoughts and responses, without having to shut you up, goddammit! Finally I got noticeably annoyed, yanked the discussion out of her hands (as it were)--and fortunately, the students were amused, by both of us. The grey-hairs having it out. Gawd.

Well, anyway.

Having hit the wall, I need to listen to my brain and body, both of which want to be home and winding down for the night. I allowed myself to sleep late this morning (making up for a late night last night), but I've still been idiotically tired all day, so I want to head away from work and toward relaxation ASAP. I have some life-maintenance to take care of on the way home, but then I need to pry my little bulldog teeth out of today and let sleep take me gently into tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment