Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Displacement Activity

I'm avoiding grading more first versions of final papers for 102. So far, they're pretty awful. I know this is typical; it takes students a while to get away from unsupported social commentary and into actual analysis of the novel--and some students take a hell of a long while to understand the novel well enough to say anything that makes any kind of sense. And that doesn't even include the problem of their understanding the critical essays they've found. (Based on ideas in a critical essay, one student apparently thinks a pronoun is either an idea or a kind of person....) I've made things a trifle easier for myself by typing up comments. I had to write the comments for he first paper I marked from scratch; the rest will be made up of raided/adjusted sentences. That way I don't have to keep rewriting "You need to focus on the novel, not on unsupported social commentary." In the past, I'd wear out my hand and my red pen, writing that by hand on just about every paper. This time, I can pretty much cut, paste, print.

But even though I know this is typical, it's still painful. The despair has hit: I feel like I've been talking into a black hole for eleven weeks. Blech.

And I've gotten to the point where I feel very much like Bartleby: I prefer not to.

However, I do need to get them back to the students tomorrow, and there aren't very many of them in total, and they're short, and I don't want to be frantic in the morning. This week and next are looking more frantic than I'd like anyway: I didn't realize until this morning that the two "professional development" events I've selected to attend this year (as contractually required) meet this Friday and next--and both start early in the morning, which I fucking hate: early alarms, god dammit, even though I have no intention of showing up at either one on time. (One starts at 8 a.m., the other at 8:30. I mean, really.)

But my office mates have led me into a much longer (and more enjoyable) displacement activity, and now I really do have to get some work done, so I'll have to blog more/better tomorrow. Well, more. I can't guarantee better.

No comments:

Post a Comment