Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Tuesday, November 20, 2012

on the fly

About to run off to dance class--passing up a golden opportunity to do damage to my blood pressure by attending tonight's Board of Trustees meeting.

The good news is, I'm caught up on P&B business. Now I get to turn my attention to paper grading. A small but significant portion of the 102 students haven't yet turned in the final versions of their second essay--and next week we start the process of their final papers. I've also decided I don't want the half-assed crap they've been submitting in lieu of actual plot summaries/logs/glossaries--so I've told them to button it up, do good work (i.e. something approaching completion of the tasks I've actually assigned) and turn it in all at once.We'll see how that flies. It will be a bit of a crunch for me in terms of marking, but I'm not going to comment, just read enough to assign a grade.

One student I thought I'd lost for sure showed up after class today, ready to resume. I'll let her try--she's smart and had been a pretty good student until the storm, which coincided with a death in her family. I don't know if she can pull it off, as she hasn't even started reading the novel yet, but it doesn't hurt me any to let her make the attempt. The funny thing was that she showed up with her twin sister. At first, I saw the twin and thought she was my student, but then I saw the other face, and I said, "I'm looking at [the one not my student]--but that's my student there." They were astonished I could tell them apart: they may be genetically identical twins, but their faces are distinctly different. They were cute about it; cute in general, in fact. We'll see what happens.

I ended up giving both classes the "this is for you" speech, the one in which I say that it's their responsibility to ask questions and make sure they have the information they need. "It's your education; take responsibility for it." The ones who most need to hear that of course don't--or don't right now. I hope that somewhere down the line the words will return to them in a time of need.

And I note again the marked difference between the two classes. The first one was like wading through cold, congealed oatmeal; the second included laughter and good points, good understanding. I told the second class that I'll be teaching Native American Lit in the spring. I didn't mention it to the first class.

Ach, whatever. I told Paul today that between the two sections, I have approximately one section's worth of students. He said that should count as "recognized distinction," the criterion for promotion to full professor. I couldn't agree more.

But now off I go. I hope to post a slightly better crafted, more coherent precis of tomorrow, but those dancin' feet are callin' me.

No comments:

Post a Comment