Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Monday, August 21, 2017

Super-quick

I have about 12 minutes in which to post, so:

Cathy and I have covered all the FT faculty contingencies--I think. One of our colleagues has abruptly decided to retire--which is good for her, as her health is a serious concern, and not bad for us, as it gave us a few extra courses to distribute. (I didn't ask Cathy about the classes from our colleague who passed away (a euphemism I generally dislike, but the gentleness of it seems appropriate in this instance).) My SF class just hit the minimum mark: if it stays there or, better, continues to gain ground, that will be great. The later 101, which had low numbers, is now climbing rapidly: it will fill, I'm sure. And I bet next week we suddenly have to open more sections and find adjuncts to teach them. Fun and frolic.

I got out to look at the partial eclipse. I thought it was extremely cool to see (both through the shielded telescope and--even better--through a pair of eclipse glasses that I borrowed from a colleague). Interesting that many people seemed quite underwhelmed (including a lot of the kids who were there). But congrats to our colleagues in the Physical Sciences for putting on a whizz-bang event.

I think (I hesitate to say this, but I do think) that apart from the final essay for the SF class, I have all the handouts not only ready but printed and set to be copied. Of course, I had to print the syllabi again; I not only had made some changes over the weekend but I forgot that I'd decided to put the date/time footer on them. I am appalled at the amount of paper in the recycling bin, but at least we have a recycling bin, not just a garbage can.

I started working on making sure I have copies of all the essays the students in the 101s will read--and I need to think about the critical material I'll be providing for the students in the SF class for their second essay. I already did a bunch of research, so I don't need to reinvent that particular wheel; I just need to decide which of the essays I'm actually going to make available to the students and how I'll set that up. Thinking, thinking.

There are still a few classes that are not yet staffed, mostly those with low numbers (so they may yet get canceled)--but I'm really worried about the increasing possibility of howling errors in schedules. I hope to take some time after contract signing to work carefully with Lori, our most amazing office administrator (not sure of her actual title, but it should be empress, I think). I know she has ten thousand other things to deal with, but since we have some time (a lot of time, actually) between contract signing and start of classes, I'd like to use it to quadruple check everything and fix any problems before Labor Day.

One final note: I need a bigger desk. In fact, I need a desk about the size of this room. I'll talk to Paul tomorrow about whether we can put a file cabinet next to the computer table where I'm working right now. I think he said he has one at home he'd like to bring in, but if not, I think I'll buy one; there's plenty of space, and having a little additional surface area on which to spread stuff out would be terrific. Plus Paul could use the file-drawer space. Win-win.

Now, however, my 12 minutes are just about up, so I'll sign off, shut down the computer, and be back blogging on the morrow. The sky monster did not, in fact, eat the sun permanently, and all portents of doom are averted. Clearly the proper rites were observed. Whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment