Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Thursday, December 20, 2018

And the book comes to a close

All the paperwork is submitted--and the 5:00 chimes just rang. I don't have to come back tomorrow to finish anything up or to turn anything in. And honestly, if any students email with complaints, I'm just going to ignore them. In fact, I just set up an automated reply that says, in essence, "I'm retired. Don't bug me."

The Mom got an A. Snotty Daughter got a B (which was a bit of a gift, actually). Scattered Woman got a C+. The Drifty Intellectual got a B.

There are a couple of grades that are higher than the student really deserved--and one I could have rounded up and chose not to. But mostly, I feel like the grades are pretty accurate. I wonder if the teacher I was in 2001 would look at the student work and feel the same way, or whether, over time, my standards did gradually sink. Probably.

On a completely different front, I just realized I meant to take the plants down to the main office so someone could water them over the break and I didn't. I think I'll just water the hell out of them tonight and hope they survive three weeks--since I do have to come back in January to deal with those incompletes.

And speaking of incompletes: I realized yesterday that I had offered one to a student in the 102 and then completely forgot about it. I just gave her the gift of a grade on the first version of her second essay, which she didn't actually submit. She muscled through a very difficult personal situation--and she truly deserved the A she got. (More than the Mom did, actually, though her A was mostly because she did every single homework assignment and got top marks on all of them--which bought her extra credit.)

As I was in here grading--and while the party was going on (which I very Scroogily stayed away from), a number of my colleagues came to wish me bon voyage--one even bearing a gift. Cathy told me that many more were asking where I was. Her official reason for my not being there was that I was feeling shy, which was a gracious excuse--a lot better than the real reason, which is, as I've said, I fucking hate those parties.

But it's over. There is clean up yet to do--which will take the spring, I imagine--so I don't really feel like it's over. I have no idea when it will actually sink in that I have, in fact, left this behind and am moving on to something else. Maybe not until I'm actually out west permanently. Who knows.

Nevertheless, the blog is not yet defunct--or I don't think it is, at any rate. I do intend to post when I'm in the Writing Center come January. But--unless something very unexpected happens--this is my last post for 2018.

And I wish you all bon chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment