Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Wednesday, December 12, 2018

God, give me patience...

A student came in to Advisement today. She had ten zillion questions--and could not understand my answers, no matter how I phrased them. She also had a habit of asking another question before I could answer the first one (or the second, or the third). Then, part way through my trying to explain things to her, a friend of hers showed up and they started talking to each other. I let that go on a lot longer than I should have--but then the friend also wanted to ask me advisement questions. (She also wanted to find out how she can have a "real" adviser--like a school counselor, someone there to answer whatever questions and provide general hand-holding--and I said, "Oh, you need a mentor." I told her to sign up for it in the spring. Maybe we picked up one for seminar hours.)

In any event, I talked with her (or with her and her friend) for over an hour--and she still was asking questions (and not understanding the answers). The maddening thing is that she is clearly very intelligent, and although English is not her first language, that wasn't the problem. She just wanted to over-complicate things beyond all belief, and could not, could not, hold on to the explanation from one minute to the next. She kept re-asking things, too, over and over. And wanted to have mutually exclusive options available. No, you can't be in more than one degree program at a time. No, if you do that degree, that course won't count. You can't say that the most important thing to you is the professor but also the days and times of the course; you have to pick one or the other.

I was ready to run around barking. Thank God I ran out of time, or I'd have been with her even longer, and I was truly ready to tear my hair out.

My own students were much better today. The 101 was super easy. I had to have a conversation with a couple about whether it was better to take a D or to withdraw (and one opted to withdraw), but it was all very civilized: no temper tantrums, just wanting to understand options and repercussions. The two students I met with in conference were fine.

And Mom has decided to bail entirely on the essay and just take a B for the course. She managed to both blame me for the fact that she was struggling and express appreciation for how well I "get" her and for all my help. I didn't slam her again for the blame, but when she said she thought the final assignment was challenging for a 102 (implication: too challenging), I said yes it is, and I think it should be. I also said that students who aim lower do better. (I didn't say, "You are the only one who is freaking out over it, so maybe that should tell you something.") But whatever. I think my response was measured and kind, and she's off the hook. So am I. That's good.

So, I only have two essays to mark for conferences tomorrow--which I may or may not get to before the conferences. One student may or may not show for her conference. One student is coming back for a second conference (which is great). And beyond the two essays to mark for tomorrow, I have another three to write comments for. Two that don't get comments.

And a wheelie pack full of essays from the 101. But I don't think I'll look at those until next week. Maybe--but I forgot to make sure that anyone who wants comments let me know, and will show up to retrieve the essay on Wednesday. We'll see.

But now, I need to dash out of here. I haven't done the swap over, what I need to take home and what I can leave here, and I have to get to my Wednesday evening appointment. So, onward and awkward, as I like to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment