Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Friday, January 10, 2020

Gotta love research

I've been working on a little essay that I may eventually toss up on Medium, and for it, I found myself doing a tiny bit of research. And man, I love chasing down all the possible rabbit trails research--even of the superficial "search Google" kind--can reveal. I used to tell my students that I am not good at coming up with search terms, which is true; my brain does not get "search engine optimized" approaches to topics, so it takes me a fair amount of floundering around to find what I'm looking for. And if I head to Google Scholar (which I enjoy doing), I almost invariably find something I want to read that I can't access directly (not without paying a larger sum of money than idle curiosity would justify), so I try the NCC databases--and generally I strike out. If I'm serious enough, I'll use ILIAD (ILLIAD? I can't remember), the inter-library loan service of the NCC library. The librarians who staff that service are amazing. They can find just about anything. Librarians clearly have a particular kind of brain--one I just as clearly do not have.

Perhaps tangentially, I will report that my retirement brain has gotten hungry enough for metaphoric red meat that I have actually embarked on reading non-fiction for fun. At some point in the past, I started reading Antonio Damasio's The Feeling of What Happens: Body and Emotion in the Making of Consciousness. Clearly I got about half way through, then put the book down, intending to pick it up again--and didn't pick it up again until a few days ago. I will be interested to see whether I finish it this time. It is certainly fascinating. It has absolutely nothing whatever to do with the research I was doing for the little essay I was writing--nothing whatever to do with any of my writing, really--but I'm enjoying the knowledge for knowledge's sake, and I do notice that any time I read about the workings of the human mind, I see applications to my own life that are, to me, fascinating.

Shifting gears, but I realize I didn't persist in a program of writing every day long enough for it to become habituated routine. Still, I haven't given up on the prospect of that happening. I do love to write, and I have enough things going, and enough places I could go, that I don't have to feel nailed into writing just this one thing. It's writing itself that I love, not so much any specific thing that I'm writing.

But I have nothing else of great interest to report just at the moment. Tomorrow I will get one small editing job, which is returning to me after the authors have had a chance to look at my initial edits. I was supposed to get another editing job today--a slightly larger one--but so far, no sign of it. However, if it does show up, or when it does show up, I will have to put my head down and grind on it to turn it around jiffy-quick: we're running out of time before the hard deadline of "materials to press." We'll see how it sorts itself out.

I mention that because, if I'm immersed in editing, I won't be writing--or blogging--for a while. Again. But we'll see what transpires.


No comments:

Post a Comment