Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Sunday, January 26, 2020

In the "it never rains" department...

Kinda bananas.

I got the online class--which I've got ready to "go live" tomorrow (despite some moments of random stupidity on my part and one glitch that--according to tech support--is a "known problem" with Blackboard). I got the materials to edit for the NYPL that I've been waiting for since November. A little project I'm editing for the Met boomeranged back to me, as they do (I have to comb through them several times before they go to press). And the assistant at the NYPL who has been my point person there recommended me to some people she knows; they're designers who are putting together a proposal for a large art book for a west coast museum, and they need to include an editor in their proposal. I'm saying yes to that, too. In the near future, all I need to do for that is produce a bio paragraph (what the hell do I say?), an estimate (at which I suck, but I'll get better at them as time goes on), and "samples" of my work--which will be just a list of some of the big book projects I did for the Met.

And I really, really wish I had an office. Even just a designated room in my house, but somewhere big enough that I have some desk space on which to spread out materials. My "office" (or "study") is in the little guest room, so the guest bed is covered with books and papers and I don't know what all. (I really do need to go through it all, clean up, sort, file, toss.) To look at a piece of paper while I'm working on the computer, I have to open the drawer of the little file cabinet that's doubling as a night stand and balance the paper there (otherwise it's too far away for me to see it clearly).

Well, maybe some day I'll graduate to a place big enough that I can have a sizable desk, not just the little flimsy thing I have my computer and printer on (the footprint of which isn't much bigger than either of those things).

Meanwhile, I'm calling a halt to work on the class earlier than I did last night; it seems to take me about three times as long to wind down from this as it does to wind down when I'm doing anything else--and it always takes me a long time to wind down. I have about five more weeks of content to get online, but the students have all they need to start. I also have changed the order of assignments at least three times since I posted what I thought was a "final" syllabus and assignment schedule; I'm hoping that won't happen again, but at least I haven't made 28 paper copies of the wretched thing; I just change the file and post it again.

My brain needs to make mrrrrr-eeee mrrr-eee noises for a while. More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment