Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Saturday, March 21, 2020

It's easier when they don't do the work

It took me a lot less time than I thought it would to grade the essays--because, as I realized, I didn't emphasize that submitting the essay unrevised would mean a lower grade for the second/final version. So several students figured whatever grade they got was good enough and didn't revise.

And I took a step that I'm not entirely sure I should have: I let them know that, since I provided my comments for their benefit, the fact that they essentially ignored my comments is disrespectful of me, my knowledge, and my time. It is, and it pisses me off, so I thought, what the hell. They should know that their behavior actually has a detrimental effect beyond their grade.

I also note that two of the students who didn't revise also didn't fix instances of "accidental" plagiarism that I pointed out to them in their first versions. I've told them both that I haven't yet given a grade, so they need to contact me to set up a time when we can talk. I'm giving them two weeks to contact me. If they haven't gotten in touch with me by then, my plagiarism policy goes into effect and they get zeroes for their grades.

The third one who didn't revise is potentially an A student, but he's just barely able to mask his utter disdain for the class. (He's one of those "it doesn't apply to me so why do I have to take it" students.) I've told him he can disagree with me, but now he knows he still has to listen to me.

I've also made it very clear that--going forward--if an essay is submitted for a second time without a serious attempt at addressing my comments, the grade (relative to number of points possible) will go down.

But one student really is an A student: not only is he very good, he really, truly revised and revised well. What a pleasure that was--especially as his was the second to last essay that I read.

So, now that's done. And although there are assignments I could grade (a quiz, I think, and at least one discussion board forum), I'm going to leave it for now and engage in mindless noodling. And I have a week in which to sort of breathe and get caught up before the next essays land. (Which reminds me: I need to contact one student to let him know he's not going to pass, now that he's completely missed both versions of essay 1. Oh, fun and frolic.)

I could get out walking this afternoon, but instead I'm going to work on the Guinness World Record in sloth.

No comments:

Post a Comment