Notice about Cookies (for European readers)

I have been informed that I need to say something about how this site uses Cookies and possibly get the permission of my European readers about the use of Cookies. I'll be honest: I have no idea how the cookies on this site work. Here (I hope) are links to the pertinent information:

Google's Privacy practices: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=us

How Google uses information from sites or apps that use their services:

https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites





THINGS HAVE CHANGED:

Since I am no longer a professor in the classroom, this blog is changing focus. (I may at some future date change platforms, too, but not yet). I am now (as of May 2019) playing around with the idea of using this blog as a place to talk about the struggles of writing creatively. Those of you who have been following (or dipping in periodically) know that I've already been doing a little of that, but now the change is official. I don't write every day--yet--so I won't post to the blog every day--yet. But please do check in from time to time, if you're interested in this new phase in my life.


Hi! And you are...?

I am interested to see the fluctuation in my readers--but I don't know who is reading the blog, how you found it, and why you find it interesting. I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to use the "comment" box at the end of any particular post to let me know what brought you to this page--and what keeps you coming back for more (if you do).





Monday, February 16, 2015

Four hours

That seems to be about the maximum I can spend on the sabbatical work before my mind starts to grind to a halt. I've been trying the "get up and walk around every 45 minutes" thing today, and whatever it may do for my body, I can't say it's making a hell of a lot of difference to my mental stamina.

Part of the issue may be the actual part of the work I'm doing these days: I'm creating an overview (actually two of them) of the critical material, so the system is read an article, write a precis for students, note the article as read, and repeat. Of course, as I think I mentioned yesterday, I often end up either making note of or tracking down other sources, cited in whatever article I'm reading but something I've not located through my own searches. Today I tried not to do that (keeping too many plates spinning), but now I'm concerned that I may have missed some important references that I really do want to track down, so--even though I'm pretty well done for today--I may have to go back through the articles I worked on and pull out those dratted sources, at least noting them in my little project notebook so I can locate them later.

I'm also aware that I've put the psych course very much on the back burner because we don't have class this week--but I probably shouldn't let it go too long before I head back into those waters, too: not only do I have a class to prepare for next week, but the paper is due in two weeks (that's when the exam will be, too), and I haven't read the articles I found for my paper yet, never mind anything else. I may be reassured about my ability to cope with the material, after having talked with the professor last week, but I still wonder if I've completely lost my mind to try to juggle the course and the sabbatical project at the same time. And I will say that my experience with the class has completely proved my assumption that there is absolutely no way I could take grad courses and teach at the same time. I can only do this because I don't have to teach, grade papers, do committee work, all the stuff that goes with the usual job. I wish to hell I could chip away at a Psy.D. while I'm still gainfully employed, but it just ain't gonna happen. I am already thinking maybe I should take a statistics course (undergrad) over the summer--as that's a requirement for most programs--but the thought of it is just too daunting at the moment.

But that's summer. It's still February. I have time to continue to think about whether I'm really up for it--or if maybe I want to do it some other year. No hurry, after all.

The main thing is that I am enjoying this work--the class, yes, but even more, the sabbatical project. I wish I could keep at it longer, produce more in a day, but it feels wonderful on multiple levels. I have time to think about what students need, how to present things for them in a way they can grasp, but I'm also reading literary criticism, which I hardly ever do any more, so I feel almost like a scholar again. I don't have to do anything very scholarly with what I'm reading, too, which relieves some internal sense of pressure and self-judgment. Nice.

I don't have anything else of note to report out of the work today. I'm not sure how much I'll get done tomorrow (I have a social engagement right about when I'd normally start working, which may bitch up the schedule entirely), but again, that's not a worry for now: that's tomorrow. For now, I'm going to gradually down-shift into evening mode, when all I'm good for is noodling. If there were awards for noodling, I'd be a world champion.

No comments:

Post a Comment